Clarity

View Only
  • 1.  Best way for deploying new feature

Posted May 18, 2016 10:56 AM

Hi all!

What it the best method for deploying new feature (for example a huge number of fields on an object, a few portlet and a process) from an environment to another?

I try to use xog client but i found a few problems, there is a better method?

• 2.  Re: Best way for deploying new feature

Posted May 18, 2016 11:38 AM

When you say "xog client" what do you mean?

If you mean the "xog client" that can be found in the application URL (zzzzzz/niku/nu#action:xog.client) then this is never a supported way of deploying XML anyway - the cross-platform downloadable XOG client that installs locally (but you can download the software from the application "Client Downloads") is supported and should be enough to deploy changes.

--

The latest PPM versions include "content packages" as a way of batching up changes that you need to move between environments; https://docops.ca.com/ca-ppm/14-4/reference/ca-ppm-studio-development/ca-ppm-studio-content-packages 

• 3.  Re: Best way for deploying new feature

Posted May 18, 2016 11:42 AM

I mean XML open gateway (from admin -> general settings -> client download)

• 4.  Re: Best way for deploying new feature

Posted May 20, 2016 08:09 AM

Hello,

There have been issues with the xog especially when xogging out/in a Sub-object of a Master Object. It xogs out/in the Sub-object along with Master Object. So, in such a scenario, you can manually config migrate the Sub-object from one environment to another. This may a little tedious. No xog issues found with Portlets and Processes, as far as I can remember.

Suhail.

• 5.  Re: Best way for deploying new feature

Posted May 20, 2016 08:21 AM

If you mean that when you XOG out a sub-object then the XML also contains the master object definition then you can just edit the XML to remove the master object (and anything else that you don't need).

XOG is better than tedious-manual re-config (also prone to errors).

I would do manual re-config myself under some circumstances ; for example if I am adding new columns to a stock object, but not for a new custom object (master or sub).

• 6.  Re: Best way for deploying new feature

Posted May 20, 2016 09:50 AM

Thanks Dave. I suppose re-config is good if there are minor changes within the Sub-object and we do not have to work on the entire xml file to remove the part that consists of the Master Object too.

Take care and have a nice weekend!

Suhail.

• 7.  Re: Best way for deploying new feature

Posted May 20, 2016 09:55 AM

There are argument which you can use to XOG read only the suboject without parents.

<args name="singleContentType" value="object" />

<args name=“include_dependencies” value=“false”/>

<args name="exclude_parent" value="true"/>

<args name="noparents" value="true" />

try them to see if anyone works for you.

• 8.  Re: Best way for deploying new feature

Posted May 18, 2016 11:48 AM

OK, well that should be OK for deploying changes.

Depending on how "drastic" your changes are you (such as "huge number of fields") then should consider doing it when the application is not in use by users, but apart from that you shouldn't have issues with XOG.

If you explain "i found a few problems" perhaps we could say more?

• 9.  Re: Best way for deploying new feature

Posted May 18, 2016 01:30 PM

I would also have a Change Management plan, communication plan, back-out plan, Ensure appropriate documentation including training are updated. Validate the deployment in environment before moving on to the next environment. Never know if something got missed, it happens.Archive the XOG files, and related change documentation for future reference. It is amazing how many sites are limited when it comes to change management with CA PPM.

• 10.  Re: Best way for deploying new feature

Posted May 18, 2016 03:49 PM

I should think CA PPM Data Extraction tool, which you brought up a while ago, would be handy, too.