Rally Software

View Only
  • 1.  Do I need to be able to see another track to link dependencies to their user stories?

Posted Feb 19, 2015 10:13 AM
    Hi I need to link the dependencies for user stories in my track to user stories in another track. Do I need to have permission to view or edit the other track in order to be able to do this?

• 2.  Re: Do I need to be able to see another track to link dependencies to their user stories?

Posted Feb 19, 2015 12:42 PM
    Tim, I'm not sure what you mean by another "track".  Do you mean in a different Project or Workspace?   If so, Dependencies (Predecessors and Successors) can span Projects within a Workspace -- but can't see outside of the Workspace. 

Does that make sense?

• 3.  Re: Do I need to be able to see another track to link dependencies to their user stories?

Posted Feb 20, 2015 04:59 AM
    Hi John, sorry I meant project. We have 4 projects within one workspace and user stories from my project are dependent on user stories in other projects. Can we link these stories via the dependencies feature in Rally

• 4.  Re: Do I need to be able to see another track to link dependencies to their user stories?
    Best Answer

Posted Feb 20, 2015 09:41 AM
    Hey Tim, thanks for clarifying!  

Yes -- those stories from other projects can be linked via the Dependencies tab in Rally.  Really, it's depending on how you have your project scoping set via the Project Picker, as anything outside of that scoping wouldn't be able to be seen from certain projects.  

As an example, please consider the following:

If I have my hierarchy set up like: 
    • MAIN      
      • Project A
      • Project B           
        • Project 1
        • Project 2

• Project C

If I'm in Project C, and even if I have Show All Items from Parent / Child selected,
    0EM140000004jeH

I will not be able to see items from Project 2 as it is outside of the project hierarchy I am currently in.  I would only be able to see items from MAIN and Project C.  So, you can see that this would affect which Stories you will be able to add as Dependencies for the selected story.

Does that make sense?

Here's a little more on Project Scoping: https://help.rallydev.com/change-project-scoping

• 5.  Re: Do I need to be able to see another track to link dependencies to their user stories?

Posted Feb 23, 2015 08:48 AM
    Hi John,
    Thanks that makes sense.