Layer7 API Management

View Only
  • 1.  Application Metrics Collection

Posted Jan 28, 2016 11:26 AM

I have a requirement to collect application metrics (No of transactions done by a particular user/IP to a particular service/method) and store/transmit it either in CSV or XML. I have done this previously with the help of traffic logs and external tools like splunk. But in the current requirement I don't have any log management tool and the expectation is to do this as much internally in the gateway as possible since this data will be used to bill customers. Can we use the SSG database, some REST services and achieve this without the help of logs? If yes, please let me know some ways of going about and implementing the same. The Production gateway servers doesn't receive much of a traffic and the SSG database doesn't hold more than 10000 audit events per day and I guess this will not have much of a performance hit in the gateway. Thanks!

• 2.  Re: Application Metrics Collection

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Aug 28, 2016 02:59 PM

Karthik,

It is not recommended to house this data long term on the gateway due to this is non standard configuration and risk over time filling up local databases. This will also put additional load when data is stored to the local database, and reporting is done (Disk IO and CPU). The better way to approach this is to use the Audit Sink policy to push the data to a remote database or other resource (JMS, HTTP, etc) to be acted against. By putting this into the audit sink policy it will not slow the response back to the client and will be across all services.

Sincerely,

Stephen Hughes

Director, CA Support