I recently performed the upgrade activity for a client (On Premise) in their lower environment. It was challenging yet interesting.
So thought of sharing, quick overview of Ca PPM upgrade.
1) First step involves in going through the release notes to find the compatibility of the system (H/w & S/w) with target environment.
2) Run the assessment utility tool to discover the complexity of the environment and to draft the road map accordingly.
3) In the installation stage the Consultant have to install Java (setting up environment variables) then Tomcat then extract the install.bat file and kick off the installation. Note: Make sure we bring down all the service, pause scheduled jobs and deactivate all the triggered as pre-requisite.
4) During the Upgrade process it prompt for current file location, we have to give the location of the old install location (existing version) and then on the second prompt we have to give the source path of the new version to be installed.
5) Once all the installation is completed (takes appx 4 to 6 hours depend upon complexity of the environment), bring up the bring up the services (Beacon, APP and BG) , resume paused jobs and enable triggers.
Feel free to share your thoughts. We can extend this discussion by sharing more points and asking questions.
Kind Regards,Kirubakaran Devaprasad
SeeUpgrade from 14.2 to 14.4
Thanks Urmas !
Another new issue had been faced due to file name length. I would recommend to keep the installation file name as simple and short.
This could lead to failure at times.
Also please ensure that Locale setting for the user name (resource id) admin as 'English (United States)'. In my case it was English (United Kingdom) which cause the failure.
Feel free to share your knowledge.
We have also just upgraded our system from 13.3 to 15.2 and we have faces lot of Label changes issues. Whatever label we have changes in 13.3 is not replicating in 15.2. Like Project has been renamed to Activity in 13.3 but it has changed in 15.2 installation.
So is it because of any caution that had not been taken care during Installation? and how to change it again?
Sounds like unsupported customization which is overwritten with OOTB data in upgrade.
I do not think there is anything you could have done to preserve those other than having documented what and how was done.
I should look in the resource files on the server to see if the unsupported customization can be made there. If not then db updates are the next option.
Good to catch you here after longtime. Regarding your issue, this seems to be very peculiar and there is no recorded defect for this. Also, I have never faced this with any of my client. So it could be due to unsupported customization as mentioned by Urmas. I will further verify to find if there is any work around. If not manual update in DB or Application is the only option.
Thanks for reaching out!
Thanks for the support