Release Automation

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Has anyone had any experience using the free Oracle 11g Express database for CA Release Automation?

• 1.  Has anyone had any experience using the free Oracle 11g Express database for CA Release Automation?

Posted Aug 29, 2014 10:21 AM

I am considering using the free Oracle Express 11g database for my Nolio 5.0.1 install and I was wondering if anyone has had any good or bad experiences using the free edition....   

• 2.  Re: Has anyone had any experience using the free Oracle 11g Express database for CA Release Automation?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Aug 29, 2014 10:57 AM

This is just a small footprint of the standard Oracle database engine. Please keep in mind the limitations of this version of Oracle. The installation is fast and easy, and the administration is just like any other Oracle DB instance with limitations.

Thanks

• 3.  Re: Has anyone had any experience using the free Oracle 11g Express database for CA Release Automation?

Posted Aug 29, 2014 11:01 AM

Thanks for your response.

Do you know where I can find a list of the limitations of the free

edition?

thanks...

• 4.  Re: Has anyone had any experience using the free Oracle 11g Express database for CA Release Automation?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Aug 29, 2014 11:03 AM

Here you go:

http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E17781_01/install.112/e18803/toc.htm#XEINW116

Please look at section 3.0 for complete details.

Are you an Oracle Technology Network (OTN) member? If you are not, I would strongly suggest that you become a member. Let me know, if you have any other questions.

• 5.  Re: Has anyone had any experience using the free Oracle 11g Express database for CA Release Automation?

Posted Aug 29, 2014 11:11 AM

Thanks so much for your help!

thanks...

• 6.  Re: Has anyone had any experience using the free Oracle 11g Express database for CA Release Automation?

Posted Aug 29, 2014 01:01 PM

Sure sounds like this is a good alternative to using MySQL for POCs, similar to using MS SQL Express.

Or am I misunderstanding the limitations?

Chip Rabinowitz

Senior Enterprise DevOps Architect

A&I Solutions

201-786-3275

• 7.  Re: Has anyone had any experience using the free Oracle 11g Express database for CA Release Automation?

Posted Aug 29, 2014 01:19 PM

I am being asked to consider using it for production. I am just not sure

if the limitations would really be a hindrance....

thanks...

• 8.  Re: Has anyone had any experience using the free Oracle 11g Express database for CA Release Automation?

Posted Aug 29, 2014 01:22 PM

Brian, I wouldn’t recommend it for production use.

11Gb database size limitation, 1CPU max, 1 GB RAM……this would DEFINITELY not be sufficient for a production setup.

Chip Rabinowitz

Senior Enterprise DevOps Architect

A&I Solutions

201-786-3275

• 9.  Re: Has anyone had any experience using the free Oracle 11g Express database for CA Release Automation?

Posted Aug 29, 2014 01:39 PM

Ok... thanks for the feedback.

thanks...

• 10.  Re: Has anyone had any experience using the free Oracle 11g Express database for CA Release Automation?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Aug 29, 2014 01:04 PM

Chip,

You have it correct, it is very easy to install and use.

• 11.  Re: Has anyone had any experience using the free Oracle 11g Express database for CA Release Automation?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Aug 29, 2014 01:25 PM

Chip,

I agree, for production I would recommend the Oracle standard edition as a minimum requirement due to the limitation imposed.

Thanks

-Walter

• 12.  Re: Has anyone had any experience using the free Oracle 11g Express database for CA Release Automation?
    Best Answer

Posted Aug 30, 2014 09:06 AM

While not clearly stated as such, I'm reasonably certain that Express is not supported by CA, and is not recommended.

schur01 should be able to clarify, and berar03 can update the support matrix accordingly.

• 13.  Re: Has anyone had any experience using the free Oracle 11g Express database for CA Release Automation?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Sep 01, 2014 10:02 AM

was Walter said, Oracle express is ok for POC and testing environments but not for production implementation

• 14.  Re: Has anyone had any experience using the free Oracle 11g Express database for CA Release Automation?

Posted Sep 04, 2014 07:49 AM

I understand the recommendation, but is Express officially supported?

• 15.  Re: Has anyone had any experience using the free Oracle 11g Express database for CA Release Automation?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Sep 09, 2014 07:36 AM

Yes, we support the express edition

• 16.  Re: Has anyone had any experience using the free Oracle 11g Express database for CA Release Automation?

Posted Sep 09, 2014 08:49 AM

Thanks for your response.

Is it safe to say then, that the free Oracle Express 11g database is

supported just not recommended for production use?

thanks...

• 17.  Re: Has anyone had any experience using the free Oracle 11g Express database for CA Release Automation?

Posted Sep 09, 2014 04:35 PM

I think as any environment, for purposes of performance, that may not be the best option, but if you are using for a lab/test environment and want quick install and run, the express edition could be a good call.