DX NetOps

View Only
  • 1.  List of all servers

Posted Apr 18, 2017 03:05 AM

Hi

Is there any way in Spectrum where we can identify if the discovered server is a VM or a Physical box?. We have around 2000 servers discovered in our spectrum and our client needs the report of all server names in a excel sheet with their platform (physical or VM). Can some one please help on this.

Regards

Roopesh

• 2.  Re: List of all servers

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Apr 18, 2017 07:56 AM
      |   view attached

There’s an attribute called IsVirtual (0x12e4d) that might help…

• 3.  Re: List of all servers

Posted Apr 18, 2017 08:35 AM

Hi Jason,

thanks,  i can see that attribute, but how can i extract the report of all servers with that value?

• 4.  Re: List of all servers

Posted Apr 18, 2017 10:17 AM

You could tell Report Manager to poll that device attribute and then create an Ad Hoc report in SRM to which you could then export to CSV/Excel.

https://docops.ca.com/display/CASP102/ConfigureUser-DefinedDeviceAttributePolling

• 5.  Re: List of all servers

Posted Apr 18, 2017 10:53 AM

Roopesh,

You can create a Locator Search to find all models where the IsVirtual  attribute id 0x12e4d is equal to "Yes":

Joe

• 6.  Re: List of all servers

Posted Apr 19, 2017 08:07 AM

I tried but i am getting zero servers with that search. When i tried to validate these attribute values on indivisual servers its giving the value "no" for both VMs and physical servers. I think this attribute IsVirtual (0x12e4d) is not capturing the values if it is a VMs or physical servers. Is there any other way to do it?

regards

Roopesh

• 7.  Re: List of all servers

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Apr 21, 2017 04:33 AM

Hi Roopesh - right; the IsVirtual attribute also depends on the discovery logic which initially had created the device(server) models. So in case the discovery is done via the Spectrum AutoDiscovery i.e. by using an IP-range and the Servers are responsive to this discovery (AND there was no Virtual Host Manger triggered discovery).

So in case there is no VMware Manager modeling then you will find this attribute always on "No". 

Background here is the fact, that CA Spectrum can not "see" if this is a virtual machine in case it is running an SNMP-agent acting "transparent" as a standard server (which is intentionally what is should!). 

So - to enable CA Spectrum to recognize which "hosts" are in context of a VMware (or other Virtualization platfrom / Hyper-V / Zones .. etc ..) - you have to start building up this VMware context first - and then to create the server modeling via the VMware/Virtual Host Manager logic - then you see the "VM"-attribute - recognized via the VMware service that these hosts are VM-hosted machines.  may this helps here, cheers, Joerg 

• 8.  Re: List of all servers

Posted Apr 21, 2017 03:19 AM

You can also identify the device as VM and physical by viewing the icon. Have a look on the below link.

Icons for Virtual Devices - CA Spectrum - 9.4.1 to 9.4.4 - CA Technologies Documentation 

HTH

• 9.  Re: List of all servers

Posted Apr 22, 2017 10:41 AM

In attribute u can see the vendor name as VMware for all virtual machines which are part for vmware environment .Using this you can segregate.