DX NetOps

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Spectrum 10.3 is GA

• 1.  Spectrum 10.3 is GA

Posted Aug 27, 2018 07:49 PM

Hello

i found that Spectrum 10.3 is  now available on the downloads and on the FTP , but nothing on docops regarding it ,

what's new within this version ?

and what is docker means on some download files like the following :

CA SPECTRUM SPECTROSERVER DOCKER 10.3

CA SPECTRUM ONECLICK SERVER DOCKER 10.3.TAR.GZ

CA SPECTRUM SDC DOCKER 10.3.TAR.GZ

thanks 

• 2.  Re: Spectrum 10.3 is GA

Posted Aug 27, 2018 10:13 PM

There seems to be a session scheduled on Sep 4th for the same , it does seems to cover the docker support too 

[WEBCAST] What's New in CA Spectrum® 10.3 ? - September 4, 2018 @10 a.m. ET 

• 3.  Re: Spectrum 10.3 is GA

Posted Aug 27, 2018 10:36 PM

Thanks ,, although it has very odd starting line "Upcoming CA Spectrum 10.2.3,"  !!!!

anyway strangely no documentation is available right now on this release.!! 

• 4.  Re: Spectrum 10.3 is GA

Posted Aug 27, 2018 11:30 PM

Yea, even I was bit confused . Could be a typo 

• 5.  Re: Spectrum 10.3 is GA

Posted Aug 29, 2018 11:40 AM

Hi wael_abdelwahab ,

This was a typo. The webcast will be about CA Spectrum 10.3.

Sorry for the inconvenience caused.

• 6.  Re: Spectrum 10.3 is GA

Posted Aug 28, 2018 08:36 AM

Are you not able to see/access this?

https://docops.ca.com/display/CASP1030

• 7.  Re: Spectrum 10.3 is GA

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Aug 28, 2018 09:34 AM

I think that's the internal pre-release/staging area.  This should be the current set:  CA Spectrum - CA Spectrum - 10.3 - CA Technologies Documentation which if you go to http://docops.ca.com/spectrum is now the default.

• 8.  Re: Spectrum 10.3 is GA

Posted Sep 05, 2018 05:02 PM

I see a link from Upgrading - CA Spectrum - 10.3 - CA Technologies Documentation  to https://docops.ca.com/display/CASP1030/Install+CA+Spectrum+with+non-root+User  the latter of which I can't view since it looks like it is also in the pre-release area. As an FYI.

• 9.  Re: Spectrum 10.3 is GA

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Sep 06, 2018 06:14 AM

OK, if you find these sorts of things then post a comment in the bottom of the Docops page to get them corrected. The guys who look after Docops are quick to get back and correct them. After all, it benefits not just yourself if you do it...

I have put in a comment about this and they will pick it up shortly...

• 10.  Re: Spectrum 10.3 is GA
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Aug 28, 2018 08:23 PM

Spectrum 10.3 is GA now. Please find the Announcement below

CA Spectrum Release 10.3 General Availability Announcement 

• 11.  Re: Spectrum 10.3 is GA

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Aug 29, 2018 03:12 AM

It looks like there was an issue with Docops that should now have been resolved. If you could try again then that would be great!  There was also an issue with the PDF download that has been fixed as well.

Also, those are the new Spectrum Docker images for different server setup types. This is new for 10.3 and is explained in Docops as to how they work.

• 12.  Re: Spectrum 10.3 is GA

Posted Aug 29, 2018 10:33 AM

Having Docker images is great! Looking forward to testing this new release.

• 13.  Re: Spectrum 10.3 is GA

Posted Aug 30, 2018 04:12 AM

Yes the Docker image is a good sign. It looks like it's only for the SDC. It would be great to see Docker images for:

Landscapes (would include standard Landscape, MLS or Trap Director - secondary servers would use this image too)

OneClick Server (standalone)

OneClick Server with SRM

All-In-One (For people with a small deployment)

Regards,

Frank

• 14.  Re: Spectrum 10.3 is GA

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Aug 30, 2018 04:31 AM

Frank,

There are multiple Docker images there for different setups!

The ones covered are:

• Spectroserver
    • SDC
    • OneClick
    • OneClick with SRM

Obviously, you can turn the Spectroserver image into a MLS or LS as the case may be… Turning on/off Trap Director can be done from the VNM model (and is not something that would need a separate image).

Nice things about them is that you can pull them down in Spec for small environments. I suppose that is the advantage of Docker. Being able to keep things separate but being able to scale.

Ed

• 15.  Re: Spectrum 10.3 is GA

Posted Aug 30, 2018 05:00 AM

I tried to deploy a SpectroServer in docker yesterday.

One issue i found within the linux installer tarball was in the Docker_SpectroServer folder in one of the scripts, there is a line "sudo spectrum", that leads to an error "spectrum: command not found".

I guess that should be something like "sudo su - spectrum" 

Also - again my current lack of docker knowledge - we need to provide the path to vcd within the Dockerfile. 

On the build, docker takes the context, which is normally the current directory, and it cannot take full paths outside of that like ../../../vcd or /home/dockeruser/Spectrum10.3/vcd.

Is there a good way to reference the vcd path within vcd/sdic/linux/Docker_* or do i have to copy the folder contents to some levels in the filesystem hirarchy up (at least into vcd path or one level above) in the filesystem like i did it yesterday?

Best regards

Marco

• 16.  Re: Spectrum 10.3 is GA

Posted Aug 31, 2018 03:02 PM

Marco - The documentation has been updated to make this process significantly easier.

I managed to get it installed the manual way via sdic but the preloaded images are much easier and faster.

Had single SS and OC up and running in under 10 minutes!

https://docops.ca.com/ca-spectrum/10-3-0/en/installing-and-upgrading/ca-spectrum-dockerization

-Matt

• 17.  Re: Spectrum 10.3 is GA

Posted Sep 01, 2018 03:27 AM

Thanks for the hint matt.

I will try that as well.

• 18.  Re: Spectrum 10.3 is GA

Posted Aug 30, 2018 05:38 AM

Thanks Ed,

That's great if they thought of that already!  We just upgraded to 10.2.3 recently so will probably wait a few months as there is other work. Very keen to try the Docker images though. And yes MLS/TD are basically normal landscapes 

Regards,

Frank

• 19.  Re: Spectrum 10.3 is GA

Posted Sep 04, 2018 02:01 PM

The docker images are very cool.

The time savings is huge.  Upgrades would  be even faster I think.

I haven't had time to sit down and get OpenShift working yet but I imagine that would make things even easier and better overall!

• 20.  Re: Spectrum 10.3 is GA

Posted Sep 05, 2018 06:02 AM

Is it possible to existing spectrum setup to upgrade using this process?

• 21.  Re: Spectrum 10.3 is GA

Posted Sep 05, 2018 08:43 AM

No.  You would need to have Docker + 10.3 containers already setup.

So you would be able to upgrade when 10.3.1 ships out using the process.

Existing setups would have to be upgraded the old fashioned way. 

• 22.  Re: Spectrum 10.3 is GA

Posted Sep 05, 2018 10:09 AM

What should I do to make my upgraded version (say I have upgraded to 10.3 using the old method) use Dockerization to minimize the efforts for upgrading it to later versions? Is it possible to create containers once I upgrade it to 10.3?

• 23.  Re: Spectrum 10.3 is GA

Posted Sep 05, 2018 10:59 AM

No, you would have to use a system that has Docker installed and create the containers there.

Once you have created the containers you could certainly copy your SSdb and custom stuff over to it.

I would advise becoming a little familiar with Docker and what it does before pushing Spectrum production to it.

https://docs.docker.com/

• 24.  Re: Spectrum 10.3 is GA

Posted Sep 05, 2018 11:13 AM

Got it. Thank you Matt.

• 25.  Re: Spectrum 10.3 is GA

Posted Sep 06, 2018 11:03 AM

Hi guys,

Be careful with the installation documentation in docops ! You can use it for testing but not in a production environment!

Why? The install docs don't follow the idea and design principles of docker. When you follow the instructions, there is no difference to deploy spectrum via a predefined VM.

The idea of docker container is not only save time for initial deploying also for updating the software. 

For that in the container there is only the software and the required libraries. The data will be stored outside the container.

In this case this is the custom directory, the mysql data tables, ssdb and backup and some more. Means everything that you need to setup a new installation. For that you have to run the docker command with additional "-v " parameter to pass the container folders to the host system. There it should be on a shared filesystem so that every potential docker host has access to these folders and can start the container.

The real benefit of docker is when you want to update an application. Normally you update your repository with the new container versions, stop all containers gracefully, drop/delete the existing containers and run the new containers. The init scripts in the containers check if the data files are from the same application version. If not, the update scripts will start.

The other issue but not so important is, that in the docker philosophy every application has it's own container.

That means that mysql should be run in it's own container. Makes it also easier to to deploy security updates. For example you just need update the mysql container.

But neverless, docker is the right direction for the future and I am happy to the the engagement from CA.

So be careful, for production environments. The installation guide and the containers should be revised.

happy container deployment

Uwe