Clarity

View Only
  • 1.  Project finish dates

Posted Nov 11, 2016 07:41 AM

Hi All,

For some projects in Clarity, their finish dates are getting reduced automatically.

User have fixed the finish date but when we see after few days or open project in OWB, the finish date gets reduced automatically to some recent dates.

Please, suggest for this issue.

Thanks,

Pragya Singh

• 2.  Re: Project finish dates

Posted Nov 11, 2016 06:00 PM

I'm not sure what you mean by reduced, however, if a person books time to an assignment (a task they are assigned to) on the project after the project finish date, the project finish date automatically gets pushed out to account for that later date on the assignment.  For example, if Project A has a finish date set to 11/1/2016 and a resource assigned to Task A on Project A posts time to that task today (11/11/2016), then Project A's finish date will be pushed out to 11/11/2016.  Clarity does that intentionally for resource allocation and to account for the time posted to Task A through Project A.  I hope that makes sense.  There is no way that I know of to prevent this.  The best way to prevent the project finish date from getting pushed out is to over estimate on the tasks assigned to the resources and increase the ETC.  For example, if you know a resource needs 20 hours to complete a task in a project, give them 35 to 40 hours to account for any issues that might occur and then set the finish date on the project according to the estimated hours.

• 3.  Re: Project finish dates

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Nov 13, 2016 06:07 PM

Hi Pragya,

As far as I understand your question, the project finish date is being pulled back to an earlier date and not pushed forward. As @jennifer mentioned, there are many way the finish date can move forward but as far as I remember there is no way to automatically pull back the finish date unless someone opens up the project in scheduler and changes it. I would recommend you to audit the finish date attribute which will help in understanding who changed and what time it was changed. This will help in further troubleshooting.

Thanks,

Jerin    

• 4.  Re: Project finish dates

Posted Nov 14, 2016 03:13 AM

The project finish date is getting pulled back from 31st dec 2016 to 7th Nov 2016. The Finish date is on audit and that shows the dates are changed specially on Monday's and then two-three days difference by PPM Administrator. There is no specific pattern. 

We can also see that there is no tasks or assignment with finish date greater than 7th Nov the date to which it is getting reduced. But the reduced date is also not fixed, earlier it went to 10th Oct, then 24th Oct, then 1st Nov and now 7th Nov.

Thanks,

Pragya Singh