DX NetOps

View Only
  • 1.  Device has been added to global collection init devices

Posted Jan 16, 2018 09:54 AM

Dear CA,

We are having strange behaviour with some pingable devices in Spectrum 10.2 that went down.

Device has been modeled 10 november 2017.

Instead of giving the normal alarm "Device has stopped responding to polls", Spectrum places the device in the init container.  "has been added to global collection init devices".

What can cause this behaviour??

Kind regards,

Lieven Stubbe

Belgian railways

• 2.  Re: Device has been added to global collection init devices

Posted Jan 17, 2018 04:07 AM

Hi Lieven Stubbe,

After looking into your query and the screen-shot posted by you, I feel below stated could be the reason for this issue.

1. Is Init devices a real time dynamic global collection, if yes the condition for that global collection is pingable devices not responding to polls. As soon as the device is not responding to ping, the condition for that GC is adding the device into Init devices GC.

2. The stated device is part of scheduled discovery configuration and as a result of that the device is scheduled for auto-discovery and auto-mapping. Look into events of the device for 24 hours so that you can get a clear picture.

3. Kindly check polling interval of the device, If polling is disabled then you wont get event like device has stopped responding to polls alert.

Looking into the events shared in the screen-shot, i feel like the stated device is polling disabled, Part of scheduled discovery and part of real-time dynamic global collection named init devices.

Regards,

Vishnu Prasad

• 3.  Re: Device has been added to global collection init devices

Posted Jan 17, 2018 05:44 AM

Dear Vishnu Prasad,

The event frame for 24h (or more) shows no surplus events.

Polling for this device is up, and initial discovery is from 10 nov 2017.

So my initial question remains: Why does spectrum puts this device in init state??

Our Operations Center runs 9.3 alongside 10.2, comparing alarms as they pass.

Regards,

Lieven Stubbe

Belgian Railways

• 4.  Re: Device has been added to global collection init devices

Posted Jan 17, 2018 06:05 AM

Hi Lieven Stubbe,

What about init container. Is it real-time dynamic global collection?

Regards,

Vishnu Prasad

• 5.  Re: Device has been added to global collection init devices

Posted Jan 17, 2018 06:12 AM

Hi Vishnu,

It is realtime, during installation we created this GC to check which devices were still in status "init" (never seen by Spectrum).

Kind regards,

Lieven Stubbe

belgian railways

• 6.  Re: Device has been added to global collection init devices

Posted Jan 17, 2018 07:03 AM

Hi Lieven Stubbe,

If you look into the events posted in the question, at Jan 15, 11:26, device connection is established and the status became initial instead of Normal. 

Init devices global collection is having real-time condition search where devices with initial condition will be added to init devices global collection.

Looking into initial status of device, I hope at 13:19, device is performed rediscovery from discovery console and during rediscovery device has re-established contact at 13:48 and this time it is normal condition and as a result of this device is removed from init global collection since it is no longer in initial condition.

I hope above stated could be the scenario for addition of device into init global collection.

Kindly confirm, do you get device stopped responding to polls alarm for other pingable devices? Since looking into the events screen-shot posted i see no event received for the device for connection lost.Kindly check during Jan 15, 10:00 to 14:00 time does device has any downtime issues?

Regards,

Vishnu Prasad

• 7.  Re: Device has been added to global collection init devices

Posted Jan 17, 2018 07:48 AM

Hi Vishnu Prasad,

The rediscovery is not at 13:19, but at 9h (see image below)

Complete event history of this device in spectrum 10.2

This is an extract of the alarm we received in Spectrum 9.3 (old version), so this device was really down for a certain time. (from 11:51AM till 2:05PM)

Kind regards,

Lieven

• 8.  Re: Device has been added to global collection init devices
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jan 17, 2018 08:35 AM

Do your pingable models have "value_when_red" equal to 7?  If it's equal to 0 (that's the default for pingables), when the pingable loses contact, the model will turn blue (initial).

Cheers

Jay

• 9.  Re: Device has been added to global collection init devices

Posted Jan 17, 2018 08:47 AM

Jason,

At initial setup, we set all the pingable devices to "value when red : 7"

Indeed, the devices who have the problem have "value when red : 0"

Cudo's and thanks for the solution, I could have known...

Regards,

Lieven

• 10.  Re: Device has been added to global collection init devices

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jan 17, 2018 08:50 AM
      |   view attached

No problem