Rally Software

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Creating Custom field and extracting it via Excel plugin

• 1.  Creating Custom field and extracting it via Excel plugin

Posted Dec 07, 2016 12:57 PM

I have created a few custom fields in what we call a Portfolio Item. Rally is able to display them fine but when I try to use the excel plugin to generate a report, they are not in the list of columns that I can select to include. Other custom items are there that were created by others, but I don't see the ones that I created. Am I simply missing something when I created them inside Rally or is there more to it. Is it a permissions issue? I am kinda lost as it isn't the most intuitive tool.

If it matters, the custom fields are multi-select drop downs.

Thanks!

• 2.  Re: Creating Custom field and extracting it via Excel plugin

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Dec 08, 2016 03:10 AM

Hello Richard,

The custom field, that you are missing is of the type "drop-down (multi-value)"

Our Excel plugin is currently unable to export or import fields of that type. It also unable to import Milestones. The plugin still uses an older version of our API, that doesn't include these fields.

Having said that, we have an open request to get these fields added to the functionality. That request is currently under review, therefore I highly recommend that you go to vote and comment on this idea at

https://ideas.rallydev.com/ideas/D3658 

Thank you!

• 3.  Re: Creating Custom field and extracting it via Excel plugin

Posted Dec 09, 2016 05:30 PM

Hi Richard,

Another option that might work for you is to add a custom list app, and include these multi-value fields.   Information regarding this can be seen here.   This also provides the ability to export the fields and their values.   

I hope this helps! 

• 4.  Re: Creating Custom field and extracting it via Excel plugin

Posted Jul 12, 2018 04:32 PM

Hello,

Is there a plan on fixing this?

I'm struggling with the same issue currently.

I was rooting for shifting our different tracking process onto Rally, but only with the assumption that the excel plug-in will be able to export all fields and help in tracking. And this is after finding out that the regular export option doesn't export everything. 

And then I found out that milestones won't be able to get exported. And I was willing to live with that as well. And now, I find out even custom fields of certain types cannot be exported.

I cannot have my users download 2-3 different reports and then merge them and then start working. They will just stop using Rally.

I can understand that sometimes things are not perfect and would need fixing, but this idea has been in the running for more than 2 years now. If it was something unique I would understand the need for votes before working on it, but this is  just completion of the whole plug-in export values and that shouldn't need votes and reviews. 

Some one please let me know if I'm missing something as to why these values are NOT important in export!

This tool is supposed to be making life easier and right now it's not.

Regards,

Niveditha

• 5.  Re: Creating Custom field and extracting it via Excel plugin

Posted Jul 12, 2018 05:13 PM

Hello Niveditha!

Yes, in fact this is a current work in progress.  It is not quite ready for beta testing, but we are working to be at that stage by the end of the quarter.   The new Excel Addin will be available for Macs and Windows, and use the current version of Web Services, and the old addin uses the version prior to Milestones being introduces, and Multi-value custom fields.  

When this is ready, Information on this will be posted here and you can let us know if you'd like to join.  

Thanks!

• 6.  Re: Creating Custom field and extracting it via Excel plugin

Posted Jul 12, 2018 05:23 PM

Hey Jeri,

Thanks for the update. That’s a bit encouraging.

Regards,

Niveditha

• 7.  Re: Creating Custom field and extracting it via Excel plugin

Posted Aug 07, 2018 10:34 AM

We are looking to extract User.TeamMembership and that also does not export.  Can this be fixed as well please?

• 8.  Re: Creating Custom field and extracting it via Excel plugin

Posted Aug 07, 2018 04:37 PM

Hi Donna, 

I'd like to clarify what information you're trying to obtain when you export User.TeamMemberships.  I'm asking because Team Memberships is a numeric value that will be the total number of projects to which a user is a member - and this is what will be extracted with the new add-in.  

There is a new Community app in the App Catalog called "Bulk User Permissioning".   Depending on what your needs are, this might help you to see what projects to which a user is a member.   If you click the gear next to a user, you will see an option to show the users project permissions, which will also show the team memberships.   This can also be used to update user permissions.   Please note, as with all Community apps, support is provided by the Community.  

You can find more about installing a custom page here:  Create Custom Pages | CA Agile Central Help 

I hope this is helpful! 

Kind regards,

Jeri

• 9.  Re: Creating Custom field and extracting it via Excel plugin

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Aug 07, 2018 05:00 PM

godje02 devers1

Check this out on how to get a list of your Team Memberships with Excel:

Agile Central - Excel: How to get a list of all Te - CA Knowledge 

I hope this helps.

Sagi

• 10.  Re: Creating Custom field and extracting it via Excel plugin

Posted Aug 07, 2018 05:17 PM

Oh – this will be confusing.

Right now it gives me the names of the teams if which a person belongs. That is what I was looking for. If the new excel plug in will only show the count, then this is a problem for my organization. I can look at the community app, but generally our organization stays away from those, because of the support needed. We are an On Prem shop.

Why is the new excel add in changing the way it displays the output?

Donna Evers, CSM, FLMI

Technical Analyst II

Agile Launch Pad

This message contains confidential information intended only for the above addressees and may contain information that is proprietary or legally privileged. If you received this message in error, please notify us and delete the original message. You must obtain permission from Thrivent Financial to use its logo on all materials. Failure to do so could result in legal action.

• 11.  Re: Creating Custom field and extracting it via Excel plugin

Posted Aug 08, 2018 10:18 AM

Hey Donna, if you take a look at that link provided by Sagi_Gabay above, you'll see that it actually will export the actual project names for the Team Memberships, not just a count:

• 12.  Re: Creating Custom field and extracting it via Excel plugin

Posted Aug 08, 2018 12:20 PM

yes - right now I got it to display the team membership names.  Thank you all for your help. However, if I understand Jeri correctly, when the new API is rolled out it will only show a count.  Wondering why the change?