Harvest

View Only
  • 1.  Cross Project Merge Questions

Posted Jun 03, 2015 12:20 PM

We're working on a scenario where the users have what is considered base code from the vendor that doesn't get changed very often and custom code that gets changed on a fairly frequent basis. One Harvest project contains just the base code and the other Harvest project contains the custom code (both projects share the same repository). When a cross project merge gets done from the project containing the base code (source project in the CPM) to the project containing the custom code (target project in the CPM) we've seen some situations where the end result in the target project will have a M tag when a M tag result is not expected.

We've also tried different combinations of the Merge options and Trunk/Branch placement options in the CPM process. I've already got an issue open with CA Tech Support but wanted to also see if anyone in the community has worked with a scenario like this one.

• 2.  Re: Cross Project Merge Questions

Posted Jun 03, 2015 12:41 PM

We've run into issues similar to this fairly frequently. The settings that seem to work best for us on most occurrences is to use aggressive merge with take branch options.

In general, cross project merge can lead to a lot of issues, even if they are backed by the same repository. We've severely limited the amount of refactoring that is allowed within our code base to prevent issues with cross project merge as refactoring will cause Harvest to lose references to versions and things will look like they disappear between harvest projects. When we run into issues with CPM, we tend to back out what we can and then use an external tool to merge the two harvest projects together.

• 3.  Re: Cross Project Merge Questions

Posted Jun 03, 2015 01:28 PM

Jonathon..

Our scenario that we've been testing is using the same repository and yes CPM can be a little finicky..I admit to not thinking about refactoring causing issues with CPM and can see where it could throw things off. I am a little curious on what external tool (WinMerge or BeyondCompare perhaps?) you're using to merge 2 Harvest projects together. Thanks for the insight.

• 4.  Re: Cross Project Merge Questions

Posted Jun 03, 2015 01:38 PM

We are using BeyondCompare for all of our external merges. It's a great tool and I would highly recommend paying for the Pro version to be able to get 3-way merge capabilities.

• 5.  Re: Cross Project Merge Questions

Posted Jun 03, 2015 02:52 PM

I've got Beyond Compare too..and yes it's a great tool. I haven't used it very much for merging and have used it mostly for comparing.