Agile Requirements Designer

View Only
  • 1.  ARD: How to get ALM test id from ARD

Posted Jan 18, 2018 10:12 PM

Hi Team,

Generally when we sync ARD generated test cases to HP ALM, ALM returns its test-id to ARD that value is stored under external links.

Is there any way to get that value stored in ARD variables. I want that ALM test id to store in a table through TDM publish using 'make data' 

• 2.  Re: ARD: How to get ALM test id from ARD
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jan 19, 2018 05:31 PM

Hi, as far as I know you can't do that for a couple of reasons, but I think it's a good idea and a worth an enhancement request.

The issues I see currently are:

1. You can't currently map the test ID to a field of your choice
    2. During mapping, you can't map anything directly to a variable currently.
    3. The reverse, mapping from a variable into a field isn't possible either.

Regards,

Ben

• 3.  Re: ARD: How to get ALM test id from ARD

Posted Jan 19, 2018 05:55 PM

I agree Ben. It definitely needs enhancement.

Generally if you create test cases in 'Path Explorer'. ARD generates a 'test_data_table' in Data Painter with default columns as expected_result, flow_name, test_name and other user-defined variables.

Similarly, once someone sync stored paths with HP ALM, ALM returns alm_id (i can see in notification dialog). If we can get that value for each stored path in that 'test_data_table' of Data Painter as column (alm_id).

I will tell you where it will help.

Once tester, click on Make Data for set conditions in 'TCDC' table of test match. If there exists a column for ALM_ID in 'test_data_table', I can easily map it to data pool variable and create HP_ALM sync path in TCDC.

It will be a seemless experience that user can set TCDC and On Post Action, I can automate to call test match job to find data and attach it respective test case in HP ALM.

Other wise, currently user has to go to each test case, link self service catalog form and then click on play button to request data. (It is not suitable approach if you lot of test cases)

• 4.  Re: ARD: How to get ALM test id from ARD

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jan 23, 2018 09:12 AM

I like the idea.

So having links within ARD, for example ALM Test ID's available as variables, so we can use them inside of features like DataPainter.

I will add this to the product backlog to be picked up.

Thanks

Joshua