DX Unified Infrastructure Management

View Only
  • 1.  Upgrade from NMS 6.5 to CA UIM 8.2

Posted Apr 13, 2015 06:13 AM

Looking at the support matrix documentation for 8.2 it seems to suggest that you can upgrade directly from 6.5 to 8.2 without any intermediary steps.

Has anyone actually done this yet? If so did you meet with any issues?

The system we're looking to upgrade is very basic with standard probes (CDM Exchange SQL), no network monitoring and no custom dashboards in UMP.

Regards

Richard

• 2.  Re: Upgrade from NMS 6.5 to CA UIM 8.2

Posted Apr 14, 2015 07:05 AM

Hi Richard,

I tried going from 6.5 to 7.6 and it failed due to our character set in our MySQL DB, it required UTF8 rather than a Latin character set.

When I reported it to Support then gave me a supported upgrade path from 6.5 to 7.1, then from 7.1 to 7.6.  It still failed and we had to drop a load of tables which lost all our custom Private Pages within the UMP, you may not get this issue as you mentioned you dont use it much.

I did test this in our test environment and it worked, but that had a fresh install of 6.5. whereas our Live installation has been upgraded from a very early version (5.x)

When I mentioned to Support that the upgrade in test (from 6.5 to 7.6) worked in test, they replied saying it shouldn't have worked....

Hope that helps.

Sam

• 3.  Re: Upgrade from NMS 6.5 to CA UIM 8.2

Posted Apr 14, 2015 08:10 AM

Thanks, I've had an official answer from CA that 8.2 will allow an upgrade from earlier versions (6.5 onwards) directly to 8.2 without going through intermediary versions.

I will be making sure that there are excellent backups of NMS and the database before starting though.

I'm still interested in hearing if anyone has actually done this

• 4.  Re: Upgrade from NMS 6.5 to CA UIM 8.2

Posted Apr 14, 2015 08:38 AM

Cut and paste from CA's reply to my question

"The compatibility matrix for 8.2 is correct. Older versions, such as 8.1 could not make more than three minor version jumps. For instance, if you were on an unsupported version 6.5, you would likely need to move to 7.1, then 7.6, then 8.1.

For 8.2 we have revamped the installer, which now supports ANY version inclusive of 6.5 going straight to 8.2."

• 5.  Re: Upgrade from NMS 6.5 to CA UIM 8.2
    Best Answer

Posted Apr 14, 2015 11:24 AM

RPNewman You have perceived this correctly. The 8.2 installer has been specifically redesigned to facilitate a direct upgrade from 6.5 to 8.2. This evolution has also gone under significant testing by CA UIM QA. We recognized that we had a large base of customers who had fallen behind our release cadence and decided to take two actions:

1. Modify the installer and test plan to allow for a broad upgrade (6.5 to 8.2)
    2. Increase the supported release count to 5 product increments which had previously only been 4 increments. You should see this reflected in the End of Sale and Support document:  https://support.nimsoft.com/downloads/doc/Current_-_End_of_Sales_Announcement.pdf