DX NetOps

View Only
  • 1.  Monitoring Windows Servers 2012 and above in Spectrum

Posted Sep 08, 2017 09:34 AM

I have and entire enterprise that is going to or have already on to windows server 2012 and I have been told that Windows will no longer support SNMP from 2012 and beyond.  As a DoD element, we require SNMPv3 support throughout out networks.  The answer is not SolarWinds, so what is CA doing to address this issue?

• 2.  Re: Monitoring Windows Servers 2012 and above in Spectrum
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Sep 08, 2017 10:30 AM

I'm not a product manager so they may have more to add.  From what I've read, SNMP is still available in Windows 2012 and 2016.  Even though Microsoft lists it as deprecated as of 2012, it has not be listed as removed in 2012 or 2016.  I don't believe the Microsoft native SNMP agent ever supported SNMPv3 and because it's listed as deprecated, it probably never will.  If SNMPv3 is a requirement, two options that come to mind are

- CA SystemEDGE - Supports SNMPv3, supported for Windows 2012, 2012R2.  Also tested on Windows 2016 but I can't find that posted.

- NetSNMP - Open source, default SNMP agent that ships with most Linux distributions and also supports Windows.  Supports SNMPv3.

If the requirement isn't strictly SNMPv3 but "secure communication between management platform and managed system" then you could also consider CA UIM.  The bus protocol used by UIM is encrypted and there is integration between UIM and Spectrum.

Hope that helps.

• 3.  Re: Monitoring Windows Servers 2012 and above in Spectrum

Posted Sep 08, 2017 11:03 AM

Thanks. Now does SystemEdge come packaged with Spectrum or is that a separate license we have to buy?

• 4.  Re: Monitoring Windows Servers 2012 and above in Spectrum

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Sep 08, 2017 12:02 PM

SystemEDGE and UIM are both separate licenses, that's why I included NetSNMP as an option as well.

• 5.  Re: Monitoring Windows Servers 2012 and above in Spectrum

Posted Sep 08, 2017 12:09 PM

I believe you get at least one SystemEDGE license with your purchase of Spectrum that you can install on your Spectrum servers so you can monitor them.  You’ll have to check with your sales team to see if they still do that.  At least you can try it and see if that would work for your needs.  And, monitor your Spectrum server!

HTH,

Chris