Harvest

View Only
  • 1.  bundled checkout commandline

Posted Jul 17, 2015 10:25 AM

in our UDPs we are using Harvest commandline quite a lot. Years ago we talked to Tom Cameron about slow mass checkouts because each hco connects to harvest again and again. He suggested a further option for hco in which various hco targets could be bundled in a file in xml-format. Good idea and actually doesn't sound too difficult but nothing has ever happened.

Is there a chance for bringing this idea into reality in the near future.

Peter

• 2.  Re: bundled checkout commandline

Posted Jul 17, 2015 11:01 AM

Hello, Peter.

That seems like a good idea, but maybe you can reach your goal using the currently existing options.

There is an option, for all CLI commands, to use an input file to pass parameters. I use this option when I want to pass a large list of itens to checkin/checkout.

Another one I oftenly use is the ability to checkout/checkin files from differents viewpath locations.

And don't forget that it is possible to pass a list of packages to these commands.

I hope this explanation helps addressing your need, but if they do not open an Idea explaining what you mean and why it is currently not supported and I am sure the community will vote it up.

Best regards,

Ricardo Bernardino

• 3.  Re: bundled checkout commandline

Posted Jul 20, 2015 10:09 AM

Hi Ricardo,

which option do you mean? I can't find anything where I can pass a file with commandline options. We have really large checkouts which perform surely more than a hundred checkouts.
    These checkouts check out single items without creating a client side folder structure, as well as recursive checkouts which create a folder structure. This is all done with a perl script which reads a configuration file with all checkout targets. It simply would be easier and much faster if one could pass this file to the hco command directly.

Best regards,

Peter

• 4.  Re: bundled checkout commandline

Posted Jul 20, 2015 11:11 AM

Hello.

I am referring to the -i inputfile.txt option. This option is a common option for all CLI commands and not just for checkout.

But I don't know if it will be enough for you, as you can only execute a checkout at a time (although you can pass lists of packages and viewpaths\items) using this method.

With this you can't, for instance, perform a checkout for several states and brokers in one command.

Best regards,

Ricardo Bernardino

• 5.  Re: bundled checkout commandline

Posted Jul 20, 2015 11:24 AM

Hi Ricardo,

that is not what I am looking for because the input file simply is a substitute for the usual commandline parameters.

Instead of coding masses of single hco commands I want to perform only one hco with an input files which contains all parameters for 1 - n checkout. But of course this hco should connect to the Broker only once.

Peter

• 6.  Re: bundled checkout commandline
    Best Answer

Posted Jul 20, 2015 11:31 AM

Hello.

I suspected that this might not be what you were looking for.

I think there is not a way to do what you want at this moment, so you should create and Idea (formerly known as Enhancement Request) stating what you want Harvest to do and how and maybe its development team will pick it up.

Best regards,

Ricardo Bernardino