DX NetOps

View Only
  • 1.  Disable specific events?

Posted Jul 31, 2017 02:21 PM

What is the best way to disable just specific events for all devices and then just specific devices?

Example: APPLICATION CONTACT LOST

My idea was to use the attribute editor to change the (GeneratePortStatusAlarms) attribute to No in list view but my fear is that affects all events.

We experimented with hiding the event but that only affect the user using the one click client.

Any insight is appreciated.

Thank you,

Jim

• 2.  Re: Disable specific events?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jul 31, 2017 03:50 PM
      |   view attached

To disable it for all devices you can use ECEditor and customize how you want.  To disable it on specific devices you have to create an event configuration rule and specify the models.  The only problem you might have is that if you do this on fault isolation events (ie. events that are used in polling and setting status) that you can cause event/alarm/condition problems.  A subset of events you should not change is included here:

https://docops.ca.com/ca-spectrum/10-2-1/en/managing-network/event-configuration/how-to-use-procedures-in-event-processing/event-and-alarm-customization

You may run into issues customizing the application contact lost event/alarm…

Cheers

Jay

• 3.  Re: Disable specific events?

Posted Aug 01, 2017 08:54 AM

Thank you Jay. The whole reason we are asking this question is because the Event Configuration Editor is not clear on how to disable a specific event. There is no disable option or even an on or off button. The only option I see is to create a rule and if that is the case what would the rule look like? We just want to reduce the amount of critical alarms in our main Global Collection. There are several out of the box event that do not pertain to our network. Thanks again Jay for your assistance. 

• 4.  Re: Disable specific events?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Aug 01, 2017 09:06 AM
      |   view attached

Hi Jim,

No problem….

It sounds like what you are trying to do is disable an alarm, not an event.  The events generate the alarms, and so what you can do to disable all alarms for an event is find the event and in the Alarm tab set the Alarm to “None”.   Again, be careful if this is part of Spectrum’s fault isolation (ie making contact and determining status) as this can cause adverse effects.

If you want to only disable the alarm for a certain modeltype or set of models, that’s when you need to create an Event Condition rule that searches/matches on models, and then that rule will generate a NEW event.  That new event then needs to be configured to have no alarm configured.

Hope that helps

Jay

• 5.  Re: Disable specific events?

Posted Aug 01, 2017 09:28 AM

• 6.  Re: Disable specific events?

Posted Aug 01, 2017 09:30 AM

Im sorry I do not see the option of Alarm to "None". TIA

• 7.  Re: Disable specific events?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Aug 01, 2017 10:15 AM

Hi Jim,

You need to be in the Event Configuration GUI ☺