Rally Software

View Only
  • 1.  Any Custom App/Report on Split User Stories

Posted Jun 11, 2018 03:49 PM

Is there any way to get a report or custom app on how many user stories get split from one sprint to the following one and carried forwarded?

Thanks!

• 2.  Re: Any Custom App/Report on Split User Stories
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jun 12, 2018 05:28 AM

Hi Abhishek,

We don't currently have any built in apps or reports that would provide this information. I did do some research and found that a similar question has been asked before. You can view it here Report on Split User Stories. They suggested an app from github that you can find here patio-dashboard-apps/split-story-dashboard at master · RallyTechServices/patio-dashboard-apps · GitHub. Since this ins't one of our default apps we wouldn't be able to offer much in the way of support or assistance with it, but I wanted to make you aware of its existence in case it helps you. 

• 3.  Re: Any Custom App/Report on Split User Stories

Posted Jun 12, 2018 02:47 PM

Hi there,

Thanks for your response. I have already read that thread and built the app using the html code. However, the data is NOT fetching on the dashboard and same thing is happening with Paulo who is the initiator of the above thread. Please read his reply in the end of the thread and that's still an unanswered question.

Any help related to it will be appreciated.

Thanks!

• 4.  Re: Any Custom App/Report on Split User Stories

Posted Jun 13, 2018 05:23 AM

Abhishek,

If you would, please open the Developer Console in your browser and refresh the app.  If there are errors in the Developer Console, please post them and maybe we can see something further from there.

You may also open an Issue on the Github repository to report what you are seeing as well.

Michael

• 5.  Re: Any Custom App/Report on Split User Stories

Posted Jun 13, 2018 11:14 AM

Hi Michael,

I’m getting the following error message in the developer console and I have copied the exact code from GitHub. Thanks for your guidance!

Thanks & Regards,

Abhishek Jain

• 6.  Re: Any Custom App/Report on Split User Stories

Posted Jun 13, 2018 12:31 PM

Abhishek,

OK! I think I got it.  It seems to be an issue with the multiple decimals in the Iteration Name.  If you would, find these lines in the code (in my text editor these are lines 2820-2829):

/*
    * having a dot in the name for the key of a hash causes problems
    */
    _getSafeTimeboxName: function(name) {
    return name.replace(/\./,'.');
    },

_getUnsafeTimeboxName: function(name) {
    return name.replace(/./,'.');
    },

Update them to make this replacement global by adding 'g' after the the substring to be replaced (lines 2824 & 2828).  So it should look like this:

/*
    * having a dot in the name for the key of a hash causes problems
    */
    _getSafeTimeboxName: function(name) {
    return name.replace(/\./g,'.'); 
    },

_getUnsafeTimeboxName: function(name) {
    return name.replace(/./g,'.');
    },

Hope that was it.  If so, it will be easy to post an issue and resolution on the GitHub site.

Michael

• 7.  Re: Any Custom App/Report on Split User Stories

Posted Jun 13, 2018 01:41 PM

Hi Michael,

Thanks so much for your quick reply. You are exactly right we do have decimals in Iteration Names (for instance: 2018.Q2.5, 2018.Q2.6 etc.) and Release Names (for instance: 2018.Q2, 2018.Q3, etc.). I fixed the code to include ‘g’ per your recommendation but still no data displayed on the dashboard. However, I can see some numbers pop-up like 17.2.5 and 17.2.6 against ‘Story Type’ and without any error message (snapshot attached).

I guess we are very close to decode the issue. Truly appreciate your help on this one!!

Thanks & Regards,

Abhishek Jain

• 8.  Re: Any Custom App/Report on Split User Stories

Posted Jun 14, 2018 03:44 AM

Abhishek,

Without seeing your data, I would have to guess at what is happening.  My guess is that the Project you are scoped to in Agile Central contains only those two Iterations and there are no User Stories in those two Iterations.

Double check the global scoping and also ensure the Custom HTML Page is following Global Scoping or you have chosen the correct Project from the 'Choose Specific Project' dropdown.

Michael

• 9.  Re: Any Custom App/Report on Split User Stories

Posted Jun 15, 2018 03:58 AM

ajain40,

Also, in case you didn't see it, there is a side panel with information about the app:

Side Panel with information.

The text in that panel is:

Split Stories By Sprint

The stacked bar chart displays the number of points (or count) of stories in a sprint, grouped by Story Type in the CURRENT PROJECT FOLDER. It does not show stories from child or parent folders. Also please note that stories in a schedule state of [Completed] or less do NOT display as part of any of the categories.

In [S] (point size) mode, stories without a [Plan Estimate] value or a zero (0) value will not show up on the stacked bar chart. They'll stil show up in the [C] (count) mode.

The top table shows the points (or count) of stories in a sprint, grouped by Story Type.

The bottom table shows the percentage of points (or count) of stories grouped by Story Type.

There are four types of stories:

• Unfinished: Stories that were split and left behind.
    • Continued: Stories that were split and moved to a new sprint.
    • Multiple Moves: Stories that have been split more than once.
    • Story: Stories that have not been split

Michael

• 10.  Re: Any Custom App/Report on Split User Stories

Posted Jun 19, 2018 07:37 AM

I marked West's reply as Correct as it is the correct answer for the question posed.

Michael