DX NetOps

View Only
  • 1.  sending  a snmp traps from managed devices

Posted Dec 08, 2017 05:33 AM

Hi,

How we can send a snmp traps from managed devices to see the alarms in spectrum installed one click console server.please provide the detailed process.

• 2.  Re: sending  a snmp traps from managed devices
    Best Answer

Posted Dec 08, 2017 06:15 AM

Hello,

Could you please elaborate a bit more? This is pretty vague. When you configure network devices to send traps out in case of issue, you have to specify the trap destination IP address in the network device configuration. As soon as this is ready, Spectrum should start receiving traps. From there, traps are converted into events, and events could be turned into alarms if you do the appropriate configuration (or even without doing anything special if that's a manufacturer/device model/trap already supported OOTB by Spectrum).

Everything you need to know about how to handle events in Spectrum is explained here: Event Configuration - CA Spectrum - 10.2 to 10.2.2 - CA Technologies Documentation 

• 3.  Re: sending  a snmp traps from managed devices

Posted Dec 08, 2017 09:59 AM

Hi,

Thanks for the update,we have discovered the linux server as managed device from one linux server to ca spectrum installed linux server we are able to send a snmp trap like below 

snmptrap -v 1 -c public 172.19.251.116 .1.3.6.1.4.1.0 172.19.251.120 2 0 "Linkdown"

But here in the text filed we have given link down or something else text that we need to display in one click console how to do this please provide a detailed procedure.

we have given this OID and attribute id which is generated from model type editor in alert map file but it is not working can you please provide the procedure on this.

• 4.  Re: sending  a snmp traps from managed devices

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Dec 08, 2017 10:09 AM
      |   view attached

That’s not the correct oid for linkdown.  That’s the enterprises oid…

You need to use 1.3.6.1.6.3.1.1.5.3 for link down

Also, if you want the interfaces to alarm when a link down trap is received, you need to set the AlarmOnLinkDownTrap attribute to true on the interfaces:

https://support.ca.com/us/knowledge-base-articles.TEC1074036.html

Cheers

Jay

• 5.  Re: sending  a snmp traps from managed devices

Posted Dec 08, 2017 10:16 AM

Hi,

Thanks for the update,i am not asking about link down OID, i would like send a sample trap with some text any text like "Jason" with the snmp trap and need to display this text in the one click console.Please provide the detailed procedure on how to do this or how to send a snmp trap from managed device like any linux server with sample text.

• 6.  Re: sending  a snmp traps from managed devices

Posted Dec 08, 2017 10:33 AM

There are several ways to do this. That is going to be a bit long and painful to explain on the forum. I suggest you contact CA Services to get some help if needed.

Here are the steps in raw points:

• Define (that's not a technical step, it's more functional specification) the format of the trap you want to use. You need to define the Trap OID, the amount of varbinds, their types and values.
    • Define the rules (conditions and so on) of interpretation for that trap, based on varbind values, etc.
    • Configure Spectrum so it can interpret this new trap properly:
      • Create a customized AlertMap
      • Create the corresponding customized EventDisp
        • Define the rules, the correlations, the procedures, and so on attached to each of the events created when the trap is received
      • Create the text files on OneClick
        • Customized Event Text files
        • Customized PCause files
    • Reload the Event Configuration files in the SpectroSERVERs and OneClick servers

Enjoy!

(again, the whole process is explained on the link I shared earlier and/or in the CA Education Spectrum 300 course).

• 7.  Re: sending  a snmp traps from managed devices

Posted Dec 08, 2017 10:39 AM

Hi,

Thank you very much  for your prompt response and extended support.

• 8.  Re: sending  a snmp traps from managed devices

Posted Sep 06, 2018 10:18 AM

Hi Christophe,

I have a case in which the network devices have the: snmp-server host 10.201.X.X  MyCommunity configured with a community different from the public one and the traps were not detected. For doing the test the public community was put and now if we see traps but for security I can not leave this public community in the configuration of the device. I think it must be configured in spectrum, do you know where?

thanks

• 9.  Re: sending  a snmp traps from managed devices

Posted Sep 06, 2018 11:46 AM

To my knowledge, the only time Spectrum cares about the community name sent with the trap is if you have Trap Discovery enabled. 

Joe