DX Unified Infrastructure Management

View Only
  • 1.  If Amazon Echo devices require production support, how can DX UIM, NFA, or CAPC products monitor it?

Posted Jun 25, 2019 09:45 AM
    Edited by David DuPre Jun 25, 2019 09:48 AM
    All,

This URL points to using the Amazon Echo in the office.
    https://aws.amazon.com/alexaforbusiness/

This made me ask:
    "If customers start using the Echo in ways that need production support, how can we monitor these?"

So what do you think?  

Are there ways we can monitor the Amazon Echo devices with UIM, NFA or CAPC?

The Amazon Echo seems to ignore: pings and port scans.

Are there any scripts that could help monitor these if you know the IP address?

Thanks,
    David

Principal Services Consultant
    ------------------------------

• 2.  RE: If Amazon Echo devices require production support, how can DX UIM, NFA, or CAPC products monitor it?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jun 25, 2019 09:50 AM
    Edited by Gene Howard Jun 25, 2019 09:54 AM
    I did some quick checking but could not find any information about how to MANAGE the devices.
    I think you would need to start on the Amazon blog and site to see what Amazon has built into the devices to allow them to be managed and or monitored.

I did find this link:
    https://aws.amazon.com/alexaforbusiness/features/

Alexa for Business lets you manage your shared Echo devices using the Alexa for Business console or the console API.

maybe the console API could be used to collect basic information and health
    https://docs.aws.amazon.com/a4b/latest/APIReference/API_Device.html

Gene Howard
    Principal Support Engineer
    Broadcom

• 3.  RE: If Amazon Echo devices require production support, how can DX UIM, NFA, or CAPC products monitor it?
    Best Answer

Posted Jun 25, 2019 10:18 AM
    NFA needs netflow data, CAPC & UIM snmpcollector needs snmp communication so those will not work. 

Based on a quick search there are some tech heads out there who have gotten alexa working with REST which opens the possibility of using UIM restmon to develop a custom probe for it. Another option based on the doc page Gene referenced, one of the UIM SDKs can be used to build a custom probe. So it is either build it or open an Idea to request it.

Support Engineer
    Broadcom

• 4.  RE: If Amazon Echo devices require production support, how can DX UIM, NFA, or CAPC products monitor it?

Posted Jun 25, 2019 10:40 AM

Maybe... you could use another computer in the room to fire off an audio file that says "Hey Alexa! Send me an email (or a trap!) and tell me how you are doing!" 

That might prove to be annoying to the people who are meeting in there, but at least it would be fun!  And, you could monitor their sense of humor while you're at it!

Sorry, that was the first thought that came to mind!   ��   

Chris

This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. If you have received this email in error please notify the system manager. This message contains confidential information and is intended only for the individual named. If you are not the named addressee you should not disseminate, distribute or copy this e-mail.