Automic Workload Automation

View Only
  • 1.  In what situations will a task not get a run ID at workflow activation?

Posted May 23, 2014 10:30 AM

I have noticed that if a task’sActivecheckbox is not checked in theTask Properties,the task will never be assigned a run ID. I recall that there are other circumstances that can delay the assignment of a run ID, but I cannot recall exactly what these circumstances are. Can anyone refresh my memory?

What set of circumstances can cause a task not to get a run ID, or to get a run ID only some timeafteractivation of the parent workflow?

Thanks!

• 2.  In what situations will a task not get a run ID at workflow activation?

Posted May 23, 2014 11:02 AM

My first thought was: all tasks with "Generate at runtime" checked. But the activation log of a plan in which I am using such tasks shows that they get a run ID assigned immediately after the activation of the plan.

So "Generate at runtime" is NOT what you are searching for  :)

• 3.  In what situations will a task not get a run ID at workflow activation?

Posted May 23, 2014 11:13 AM

I believe that it’s more complicated than that. I believe that delayed assignment of a task run ID occurs when a combination of criteria is met. I do not remember exactly what this combination is, but I recall thatGenerate at runtimeplays a role. I think it also involves something else like certain commands in thepre-processorprocess tab, whether there is a prompt set involved (or a parameter dialog box), etc.

Also, I get the impression the behavior of the product in this area has changed over time, but I’m relatively new to UC4 so I do not have much knowledge of versions prior to v9.

• 4.  In what situations will a task not get a run ID at workflow activation?
    Best Answer

Posted Jul 31, 2014 11:34 AM

I was just poking around at this. I dont know if its all inclusive but if:

1.) A job is set to generate at runtime.
    2.) A job is in a workflow.
    3.) A job has a job prior to it in the workflow that has "Request Task Parameters" AND "Parameter evaluation at workflow generation" checked from its task properties.

It will not generate a runID until the prompts from the previous job(s) are submitted.

• 5.  In what situations will a task not get a run ID at workflow activation?

Posted Jul 31, 2014 12:14 PM

Don't know if this will help, but whenever I try to figure out what happens where and when in the activation and execution of an object I turn to the Inside UC4 Guide, Executing Objects topics and follow the four stages.  Perhaps the answer you want is there.

To satisfy my own curiosity, why to you want to know this?  Don't feel compelled to answer, it is just that after using UC4 for about 10 years this is not something that I've ever needed to know and I don't want to miss an opportunity to learn something.

• 6.  In what situations will a task not get a run ID at workflow activation?

Posted Aug 14, 2014 10:22 AM
    Darren Sniezak said:

I was just poking around at this. I dont know if its all inclusive but if:

1.) A job is set to generate at runtime.
    2.) A job is in a workflow.
    3.) A job has a job prior to it in the workflow that has "Request Task Parameters" AND "Parameter evaluation at workflow generation" checked from its task properties.

It will not generate a runID until the prompts from the previous job(s) are submitted.

Thanks, Darren. I seldom use the two options in criterion #3, and I know I have seen this before; so I am pretty sure that there are other sets of circumstances that can cause assignment of the run ID to be delayed.

• 7.  In what situations will a task not get a run ID at workflow activation?

Posted Aug 14, 2014 10:27 AM
    Mark Hadler said:

Don't know if this will help, but whenever I try to figure out what happens where and when in the activation and execution of an object I turn to the Inside UC4 Guide, Executing Objects topics and follow the four stages.  Perhaps the answer you want is there.

To satisfy my own curiosity, why to you want to know this?  Don't feel compelled to answer, it is just that after using UC4 for about 10 years this is not something that I've ever needed to know and I don't want to miss an opportunity to learn something.

Mark, the run ID is used as an argument of the MODIFY_TASK scripting command, so wherever this command is used, it is important to understand the situations that could prevent one from having the run ID.