ESP dSeries Workload Automation

View Only
  • 1.  Do anyone have any best practice for scheduling multiple jobs

Posted Mar 18, 2022 02:55 PM
    Hi All , Does anyone has any best practice within their account for creating and updating multiple jobs at once . I am talking about 100-200 jobs at a single try like uploading the job details using jil in autosys .  Is there a way in CAWADE like we do in autosys or is manually creating the jobs the only option .

• 2.  RE: Do anyone have any best practice for scheduling multiple jobs

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Mar 21, 2022 11:09 AM
    Edited by Nitin Pande Mar 21, 2022 11:10 AM
    Hi Ramesh,
    If you want to create unix and windows jobs only then you can check out the REST API here.  We have examples on to do a post of jobs in Json.
    I will also highly recommend to put in an enhancement request here for this.

HTH,
    Nitin Pande

------------------------------
    Support
    Broadcom
    Toronto

• 3.  RE: Do anyone have any best practice for scheduling multiple jobs

Posted Mar 23, 2022 09:59 AM
    We would have our developers create the flow in non prod and test it there, then we would make sure it follows all our standards and copy the application from dev to prod and update the server, upload and simulate.
    Sharon

• 4.  RE: Do anyone have any best practice for scheduling multiple jobs

Posted Apr 04, 2022 07:00 PM
    I had to create an application with about 50 jobs that were all similar to each other.  I made a new application in CAWADE, set up the one job as an example, and saved the application as XML.  I then used notepad++ to modify the XML, adding in the other 49 jobs, changing just the required XML nodes.  Loaded the XML back unto CAWADE and checked that everything looked right.

On the whole, the process was faster than building the entire application within the desktop console.  Editing raw XML is no joy, but if you have 200 jobs I'm sure a bulk of it could be automated with any scripting language that can output XML.

Andy Reimer

• 5.  RE: Do anyone have any best practice for scheduling multiple jobs

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Apr 05, 2022 10:05 AM
    Edited by Nitin Pande Apr 05, 2022 10:07 AM
    HI,
    A word of caution for editing XML by editors.  Text Editors may insert unwanted characters in XML.  This will lead to DE to sometimes crash and shutdown.

Nitin Pande

Support
    Broadcom
    Toronto

• 6.  RE: Do anyone have any best practice for scheduling multiple jobs

Posted Apr 05, 2022 04:36 PM
    Good to know.  Another decent time saver is right clicking on the jobs in the pallet and setting the job defaults, assuming the majority of the fields are going to be the same.

Took me a while to realize that job defaults in the pallet are application specific.  I originally assumed those preferences were stored as part of the desktop client.

Andy Reimer

• 7.  RE: Do anyone have any best practice for scheduling multiple jobs

Posted Apr 11, 2022 02:44 PM
    Thank you All for the suggestions , I am putting in an enhancement request to have something similar to AutoSys jil uploads.
    As a temporary measure we have made it mandatory for all the support teams to create and test jobs in lower environment , so that we can just upload it to prod once tested .