ESP dSeries Workload Automation

View Only
  • 1.  How much can I increase active.appl.gen.stop?

Posted Sep 09, 2020 06:11 PM
    What is the active.appl.gen.stop value in server.properties based on?  That is, if I doubled it to 1200, what might break or slow down unacceptably?  What if most of the active generations were in a resource-wait state?

Background:

I want to use a resource to limit the number of 'active' executions of some applications. However, the number of executions waiting on the resource could potentially exceed the "maximum active application generations", which according to the documentation would shut down the server.  If I increase the limit, would the handling of the resource-wait jobs overwhelm the server, or is it 'lightweight' enough to not appreciably affect processing?

• 2.  RE: How much can I increase active.appl.gen.stop?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Sep 10, 2020 12:21 PM
    Hi,
    The "active.appl.gen.stop" is to restrict DE from accumulating too many active applications.  Active applications use resources like memory, threads, DB tables etc.  You can increase the value if you constantly have high number of active applications.  Note, that any application that is not in COMPLETE state is considered ACTIVE.  If you double it then keep an eye on the memory usage (Desktop Client -> Monitor -> Dashboard -> Summary Dashboard).  If you see high usage (>80%) then you may need to add some more

HTH,
    Nitin Pande

------------------------------
    Support
    Broadcom
    Toronto
    ------------------------------