AutoSys Workload Automation

View Only
  • 1.  Do we have to issue a regenerate on all extended calendars?

Posted Jan 15, 2020 12:27 PM
    I created an extended calendar to run on the first business day of the year.  That date passed and now when I view it as a standard calendar, it only shows the 01/02/2020 date.  If I view it as an extended calendar, I see the 2021 date.   However, if I issue the regenerate option, the standard calendar now shows the 2021 date.   

My question is, do we have to issue a regenerate every so often on all extended calendars?  If so, why and is there a way to automate this with commands as we have hundreds of them now?

------------------------------
    AutoSys Engineer
    Bank of America

• 2.  RE: Do we have to issue a regenerate on all extended calendars?

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jan 16, 2020 10:37 AM
    Hi Leroy,

You do not need to regenerate the extended calendars.  It will only keep 1 years of dates as we'd fill up the database if we generated as far out as it could. :)

Regards,
    Mike

• 3.  RE: Do we have to issue a regenerate on all extended calendars?

Posted Jan 16, 2020 11:29 AM
    ​Hi Mike,
      Something is fishy about it as a job that was already defiend and runs once a year didn't show next years date when displayed wit hthe autorep -j jobname -d.  So to test this issue, I just created an extended calendar to run on Jan 17th only.  I also created a job to run on it so I'll check it in the morning.

However, I did notice that when I viewed an extended calendar that runs the first business day in January, the standard calendar only had the 2020 date.  I then created a job to use it and it picked up the 2021 date and that also updated the standard calendar to pick up 2021.   :-(

AutoSys Engineer
    Bank of America

• 4.  RE: Do we have to issue a regenerate on all extended calendars?
    Best Answer

Posted Jan 21, 2020 01:54 PM
    After more testing, I figured out that in order for an extended calendar to regenerate new dates and to populate the standard calendar with those new dates, you have to have a job defined to that extended calendar and that job has to be actually running and not On Hold or On Ice.  As for the job that I mentioned above, it was the only job defined to that calendar and it was On Hold.  Therefore, it couldn't regenerate the new date. 

I tested this scenario where prior to Jan 18th, I created an extended calendar with Jan 18th as the only date.  I created a test job, attached it to that calendar and I put it On Hold prior to the 18th. When I looked at the calendars today, the standard calendar showed Jan 18th, 2020 as the only date vs. the extended calendar showing Jan 18th, 2021.  I then put the job On Ice and nothing changed.  Once I ran the job to success, the extended calendar regenerated and it updated the standard calendar to reflect Jan 18th, 2021 and therefore matching the extended calendar date.  So all is good and thanks for the assistance.

AutoSys Engineer
    Bank of America

• 5.  RE: Do we have to issue a regenerate on all extended calendars?

Posted Jan 24, 2020 06:41 AM
    Extended calendars containing like the first workingday of the year can be hard to recalculate (holidays, leap year and so on), recalculation used to be only up to 366 days ahead otherwise no date could be created. It might still be the same, just a thought.
    Regards Lars