AutoSys Workload Automation

View Only
  • 1.  JavaScript Character Limit

Posted Nov 30, 2018 09:57 AM

There is a limit of 65,536 characters for a JavaScipt in WA DE. Is there a work around this? Someway to increase the limit or to maybe have the original JS call another JS?

• 2.  Re: JavaScript Character Limit

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Nov 30, 2018 10:29 AM

You can change the default value in Server Shared Parameters Internal tab "Maximum length of JavaScript".

• 3.  Re: JavaScript Character Limit
    Best Answer

Posted Nov 30, 2018 06:16 PM

Thanks Segun. As a follow up to this do you or anyone know what the absolute limit is? Or at least what may start to cause performance issues?

Also, what about another workaround, is it possible to call a JavaScript using another JavaScript?

• 4.  Re: JavaScript Character Limit

Posted Dec 03, 2018 08:57 AM

Just my two cents. 

Since we don't know what the code is executing, how often it runs, or how busy the scheduler is, it would be difficult to determine whether this large set of code would affect the scheduler. 

I think there may be a way to code this so it is run outside the scheduler. It seems risky to potentially affect all scheduling for this set of code. Of course I am not sure what this code does and what you are trying to accomplish. I recommend building applications outside the scheduler. 

• 5.  Re: JavaScript Character Limit

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Dec 03, 2018 12:00 PM

Travis,

Currently, there is no fixed length recommendation and calling a JavaScript inside a JavaScript. In addition to Don's comments, if event JavaScript execution is taking long it may affect workload processing.

General rule of thumb is to make sure that you are not creating long running JavaScripts, use other features like global variables when necessary.

Regards!

• 6.  Re: JavaScript Character Limit

Posted Dec 06, 2018 08:39 PM

Thanks everyone for your input on this, much appreciated!