AutoSys Workload Automation

View Only
  • 1.  Force complete a job when a file exceeds a maximum file size

Posted Feb 01, 2018 08:47 AM

When a very large file is encountered, we need to force complete the PeopleSoft job so it doesn't try to process that file.  A notification will be sent so manual procedures can be performed. 

• 2.  Re: Force complete a job when a file exceeds a maximum file size

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Feb 01, 2018 09:08 AM

1. Create a File Watcher Job to monitor the size of the file.

Define a File Watcher Job - CA Workload Automation AE & Workload Control Center - CA Technologies Documentation 

2. notifications cannot be sent in this case. Notifications will be sent only in case if the job fails or succeeds.

3. In this case you can create email notifications for FW jobs as it fails job if the Size of the file exceeds and also sends a notification.

• 3.  Re: Force complete a job when a file exceeds a maximum file size

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Feb 01, 2018 09:10 AM

My apologies! 

2. notifications can be sent in this case. Notifications will be sent only in case if the job fails or succeeds.

• 4.  Re: Force complete a job when a file exceeds a maximum file size
    Best Answer

Posted Feb 01, 2018 09:30 AM

Where does the file exist that requires the size to be checked?  Windows or Linux?

I would create an OS specific JOB that checks the file size and does a conditional release.

• If less run PeopleSoft Job to process file.
    • If greater run alternate process.

Alternate process would automate manual steps done when the file is above threshold size.

• 5.  Re: Force complete a job when a file exceeds a maximum file size

Posted Feb 01, 2018 10:04 AM

The file comes into a UNIX file transfer server.  I have a file trigger with Created and when file reaches 70000 bytes.  The trigger completes as expected, but I want it to execute an Alert to force complete the sub-app when the file is over 70K.  Less than 70K, it should complete so the successor PeopleSoft job is submitted. 

• 6.  Re: Force complete a job when a file exceeds a maximum file size

Posted Feb 01, 2018 10:49 AM

Do you have a NOTIFY statement on the file trigger job?

Have you created a APPL to process the alert?

The NOTIFY would trigger the alert when the job ends,

NOTIFY JOBEND ALERT(alterid)

• 7.  Re: Force complete a job when a file exceeds a maximum file size

Posted Feb 01, 2018 10:24 AM

Could you have a task that monitors the file size, and set it up such that if the file size reaches a certain size, it sends an alert.  This alert would trigger an event that would have an in-stream proc that would force the job complete.  We've done this in ESP.