AutoSys Workload Automation

View Only
  • 1.  DE Web Services vs Powershell

Posted May 11, 2017 12:05 PM

We are being asked to use Workload Automation DE to schedule processes in Talend, the triggering of which is done through a web service call.  As I see it we have two obvious options, but I'm wondering if I'm missing anything.

Option 1: Install DE Web Services in order to use some of the built in Application & Web Services job types (specifically the HTTP job type)

Option 2: Use a Windows agent to run a Powershell script that makes the web call

Concerns with Option 1:

1. DE Web Services seems geared towards opening internal DE processes as web services, which is functionality I don't need
    2.  DE Web Services installs Tomcat which by default does not run as a service, something I'd have to remedy to have this run on a server
    3.  DE Web Services will add to our agent count, and we pay for licenses by the seat.

Concerns with Option 2:

1. None that I can think of. Making a web call in Powershell is straightforward and we already have the code to properly pass a return code back to DE from Powershell. 

I'm obviously leaning towards Option 2 but perhaps there is something I'm missing about DE Web Services to make me reconsider.

• 2.  Re: DE Web Services vs Powershell

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jul 06, 2018 01:34 PM

Hi Any,

About Option1, yes the CA WA WebServices is mainly an API for DE.  It can make SOAP calls to DE and you can control your workload.  There are few functions, that are only available in Web Services.

However, CA WA Web Services will not add to your agent count.  This is not an agent, but a client.  If you are referring to CA WA WebServices Agent, then that is a separate from CA WA WebServices.  You don't need the Web Services Agent to work with CA WA WebServices.

The other thing I can suggest is that whenever you run something as a script, you have limited control over it.  If we have a job type to run the process, the CA WA Agent (and manager) have better visibility over the process and job.

HTH,

Nitin Pande

CA Technologies

• 3.  Re: DE Web Services vs Powershell

Posted Jul 06, 2018 02:27 PM

I just ended up using Powershell.  I have a Windows System job that calls powershell and passes the script name and arguments.  The powershell has an Invoke-WebRequest command and then parses the xml return and passes back the appropriate completion code to DE.

It does appear I was confusing CA WA WebServices and the Web Services Agent.  Just so I understand, if I want to use the "Web Service Document/Literal" job type, do I need to have a specific agent installed?  I was under the impression I could not use this job type with a basic system agent.

• 4.  Re: DE Web Services vs Powershell

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jul 06, 2018 02:33 PM

HI,

Yes, if you want to use WS Doc/Lit job type then you need the web service plugin.  

To use CA WA WebServices (installs with Tomcat), you don't anything but DE.  

If you want to kick off some of the Web Services function from CA WA WebServices from DE, then you will need the WS plugin/agent.

Have a look at this link for CA WA WebServices.

Thanks,

Nitin Pande

CA Technologies