AutoSys Workload Automation

View Only
  • 1.  box goes to SUCCESS when job inside changed to INACTIVE

Posted Mar 21, 2016 04:01 PM

I need a doc explaining the behaviour below, can you point me a page/manual?

$ echo "insert_job: pavelv-OUTer-box job_type: b insert_job: pavelv-INner-box job_type: b box_name: pavelv-OUTer-box" | jil -q

$ autorep -nj pavelv-OUTer-box

Job Name                     Last Start           Last End             ST Run/Ntry Pri/Xit

____________________________ ____________________ ____________________ __ ________ _______

pavelv-OUTer-box             -----                -----                IN 0/0

pavelv-INner-box            -----                -----                IN 0/0

$ sendevent -E CHANGE_STATUS -s INACTIVE -J pavelv-INner-box

$ autorep -nj pavelv-OUTer-box

Job Name                     Last Start           Last End             ST Run/Ntry Pri/Xit

____________________________ ____________________ ____________________ __ ________ _______

pavelv-OUTer-box             -----                2016-03-21 15:48:29  SU 0/0      0

pavelv-INner-box            -----                -----                IN 0/0

• 2.  Re: box goes to SUCCESS when job inside changed to INACTIVE

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Mar 22, 2016 05:41 AM

Hi Pavel, What Version of autosys are you using?

• 3.  Re: box goes to SUCCESS when job inside changed to INACTIVE

Posted Mar 22, 2016 09:55 AM

11.3.6.1, but I assume that all version behave the same.

• 4.  Re: box goes to SUCCESS when job inside changed to INACTIVE

• 5.  Re: box goes to SUCCESS when job inside changed to INACTIVE

Posted Mar 22, 2016 09:57 AM

I've seen that dos before raising the question. It is very good, but my example is not there. thanks anyway.

• 6.  Re: box goes to SUCCESS when job inside changed to INACTIVE
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Mar 22, 2016 10:06 AM

Pavel,

The general box status changes are explained in the documentation, and I believe it did cover the context:

"Important! If the box contains other jobs in addition to the job that changed status, the status of the box is evaluated again according to the success or failure conditions assigned to the box (either the default or user-assigned). Any jobs in the box with a status of INACTIVE are ignored when the status of the box is being re-evaluated. For example, consider an INACTIVE box that contains four jobs, all with a status of INACTIVE (this is typical of a newly created box). If one of the jobs is forced to start and completes successfully, the status of the box changes to SUCCESS even though none of the other jobs ran. At the same time, if the status of the same job is being updated to INACTIVE and all the other jobs inside the box are already in INACTIVE status, the box status is re-evaluated and returns a SUCCESS status as it ignores all the jobs that are in INACTIVE status."

Regards,

Kishore Kumar Udathaneni

• 7.  Re: box goes to SUCCESS when job inside changed to INACTIVE

Posted Mar 22, 2016 10:18 AM

Thanks, Kishore.  the phrase below is exactly what I was looking for. I just wish this case would be included in the "How Job Status Changes Affect Box Status" table.

"if the status of the same job is being updated to INACTIVE and all the other jobs inside the box are already in INACTIVE status, the box status is re-evaluated and returns a SUCCESS status as it ignores all the jobs that are in INACTIVE status."

• 8.  Re: box goes to SUCCESS when job inside changed to INACTIVE

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Mar 24, 2016 11:29 AM

Hello

An autosys 4.0 patch has introduced this behavior.

If you want to change it, set variable BOX_NO_SUCCESS and restart the Scheduler.

BOX_NO_SUCCESS
    Specifies whether the scheduler keeps the box in the RUNNING state if all the jobs in the box enter the INACTIVE state. Valid values are 0 and 1.
    Default: 0; the scheduler does not keep the box in the RUNNING state if all the jobs in the box enter the INACTIVE state.
    Note: If you do not define this variable, the scheduler evaluates the status of the box to SUCCESS when all jobs in the box enter the INACTIVE state.