AutoSys Workload Automation

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Calendar Enigma

• 1.  Calendar Enigma

Posted Mar 25, 2016 05:23 AM

Hello to you all!

I have a box scheduled by the condition: workdm02 or workdm01 or EOM.

The issue here is that IF EOM is a Saturday or a Sunday we have 3 runs taken into consideration that the workdays defined are MON to FRI.

In best sense, workdm02 = Thursday, workdm01 = Friday, EOM = Saturday/Sunday.

HOWEVER...

IF EOM is a MON 2 FRI then we only have 2 runs seen the fact that EOM and workdm01 are in fact the same day.

So the question here is:

how to set condition in an extended calendar to have 3 runs allways? AND on EOM, AND on workdm01, AND workdm02. No matter if EOM = workdm01

Clarification by some dates:

workdm02 = March 30

workdm01 = March 31

EOM          = March 31

workdm02 = April 28

workdm01 = April 29

EOM          = April 30

Looking forward to your reactions. Many thanks already for your time and support.
    PS: the reason why we are seeking for a solution is to avoid, again, a standard calendar and therefore: maintenance every year...

• 2.  Re: Calendar Enigma
    Best Answer

Posted Apr 06, 2016 04:04 PM

Mario

Extended calendars do not allow for multiple runs on the same day.

If you use standard calendars then you have the option to specify

a time with the date.

Meaning you could enter

05/05/2016 13:00

and

05/05/2016 15:00

If you do not specify a time then the time assumed is midnight/morning of that day.

Most people however specify a start_time in a job definition which then would be used.

insert_job: job1

date_conditions: 1

start_times: "13:00,15:00"

run_calendar: standard123

If you specify the start_time in the job definition it would be for ALL the days the job runs on.

So you would not be able to tell it run only once on the 30th and twice on the 31st.

... unless you used standard calendars with the time

If you need further assistance regarding calendars I would recommend

opening a support case and we can work directly with you.

Thank you

CA support

MarkW

• 3.  Re: Calendar Enigma

Posted Apr 07, 2016 08:52 AM

Hello Mark,

many thanks for this answer. However, you did not read the enigma clearly...

It has nothing to do with multiple runs/day. We know that multiple runs/day can be achieved by defining (multiple) start times.

Our proposal to you is: read the above again please. It concerns a condition, stating 3 days, where we only have 2 runs instead of 3 when EOM AND WORKDM01 are during the week.
    Cause then they are the SAME day. And we would like to avoid that.
    So read it again very slowly, let it come into you and give us your (appreciated) opinion again. Many many thanks already.

Warm regards;

Mario.

• 4.  Re: Calendar Enigma

Posted Apr 07, 2016 12:32 PM

Mario

Please open a case with support so we can discuss this with you directly.

Thank you

CA support

MarkW

• 5.  Re: Calendar Enigma

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Apr 08, 2016 09:46 AM

Hi Mario,

I am unclear what the requirements are for your business case.  If you were defining a standard calendar, what days would you choose in your March example?

To further clarify the business requirement, for the month of May, EOM is a Tuesday May 31.  What days would you put into a standard calendar?

Regards,

Mike

• 6.  Re: Calendar Enigma

Community Manager
    Posted Apr 15, 2016 01:46 PM

Mario,

Were you able to resolve this issue with support? Could you come back and share what you've learned with the community?

• 7.  Re: Calendar Enigma

Posted Apr 18, 2016 09:33 AM

Hi,  still in discussion as everyone seems to be of the idea that I want to create a 'standard calendar'.
    But that is what I just want to avoid.

• 8.  Re: Calendar Enigma

Posted Apr 18, 2016 10:25 AM

Michael,

the case is however clear:
    - I want ot AVOID the creation of a STANDARD calendar as that is maintenance at the end of the year
    - I would like to know if the below can be solved by defining a 'condition' in an EXTENDED calendar
    - If have adapted the text so that it becomes perhaps more understandable...

I have a box scheduled by the condition: workdm02 or workdm01 or EOM.
    This means that the setup is to have 3 runs in a row. However:

The issue here is that IF EOM is a Saturday or a Sunday, then  we have 3 runs taken into consideration that the workdays defined are MON to FRI.

In best sense, workdm02 = Thursday, workdm01 = Friday, EOM = Saturday/Sunday.

HOWEVER...

IF EOM is a MON 2 FRI then we only have 2 runs seen the fact that EOM and workdm01 are in fact the same day.

So, if EOM AND workdm01 are DURING the week then we only have 2 runs: workdm02 and (workdm01 = EOM)

So the question here is:

how to set condition in an extended calendar to have 3 runs allways? AND on EOM, AND on workdm01, AND workdm02. No matter if EOM = workdm01

An example below on what I am trying to say:

Clarification by some dates:

The below is NOT ok since workdm01 AND EOM are on the same day during the week

workdm02 = March 30

workdm01 = March 31

EOM          = March 31

The below is OK since EOM is SAT or SUN and workdm02 and workdm01 are during the week

workdm02 = April 28

workdm01 = April 29

EOM          = April 30

I do hope that I clarified it more.

• 9.  Re: Calendar Enigma

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Apr 21, 2016 11:20 AM

Hi,

I'm taking some assumptions here, so let me know if they are correct.  What I think your requirement is to have the job run on the end of month and the two previous work days.

That is why I was asking for the specific examples, to see if I could figure out the requirements in words, not to suggest that you use a standard calendar.

What I have come up with is the following:

EOM|workdm1 or workdm2 or workdm3 !(workdm3&wed&(mnthdm5|mnthdm4|mnthd#27))

The first section "EOM|workdm1 or workdm2 or workdm3" is to get all the possible days.  Which will get all the required ones, but when EOM is not workdm1, generates an extra run.

The next section " !(workdm3&wed&(mnthdm5|mnthdm4|mnthd#27))" is there to remove that extra run.  Based on some observations, the extra run was always on a wed, and was at least a certain distance away from the end of month.

If my assumption is correct, please see if it meets your needs and let us know the result.

Regards,

Mike

• 10.  Re: Calendar Enigma

Posted Apr 21, 2016 12:13 PM

Just remember overly complex calendars are

almost as bad as regex black magic.

Caveat Usor

Try to keep it simple first

just my 3 cents..

Steve C.

• 11.  Re: Calendar Enigma

Posted Apr 27, 2016 11:27 AM

Try to keep it simple is a remark that you should raise to my customer...

• 12.  Re: Calendar Enigma

Posted Apr 18, 2016 10:24 AM

If I understand this correctly, the problem is that AFAIK an extended calendar will not calculate the same day twice. So if EOM and workdm01 fall on the same day you will only get that once.

Typically operators do not want a duplicate job run, but in this case it sounds like you do.

• 13.  Re: Calendar Enigma

Posted Apr 18, 2016 10:28 AM

Hello,

just came to finish a reply on an earlier reply.
    You assumption is correct. EOM and workdm01 are one and the same when they appear during the WEEK if you define MON 2 FRI as workdays.
    And that is where I (and my colleagues) are looking for a solution.
    Should ALWAYS be 3 runs even if EOM and workdm01 are on the same day.
    Already serious headache on this.

• 14.  Re: Calendar Enigma

Posted Apr 18, 2016 10:34 AM

If you are defining M-F as workdays, why not just use workdm01, workdm02 & workdm03 to guarantee three runs? EOM in this case seems redundant with workdm01 and therefore unnecessary...

• 15.  Re: Calendar Enigma

Posted Apr 27, 2016 11:29 AM

EOM is needed as if EOM is on a SAT or SUN we need that run....

• 16.  Re: Calendar Enigma

Community Manager
    Posted Apr 21, 2016 01:21 PM

Mario,

Can you let us know if Mark and Mike's suggestions helped you? Come back to the community and let us know how you made out. Thanks!

• 17.  Re: Calendar Enigma

Posted Apr 27, 2016 11:30 AM

Still figuring out...
    Had not that much time lately...

• 18.  Re: Calendar Enigma

Posted Apr 27, 2016 11:28 AM

correct and that is what I am trying to avoid.

• 19.  Re: Calendar Enigma

Posted May 02, 2016 02:31 PM

Mario, as it was stated before, extended calendars are not able to run a job multiple times in the same day.  One thing to note on your requirements is that WORKDM01 and EOM are independent of each other.  With that said, since you do want to use extended calendars, then your option would be to have two jobs.  One job runs the WORKDM01 and WORKDM02 and then have another job for the EOM.  This way they would always accomplish what you want.  It keeps things simple as you don't have to over-complicate it with additional logic which isn't an option in this scenario anyways.  Having the two jobs ensures that you always have three job runs total as you want.

• 20.  Re: Calendar Enigma

Posted May 23, 2016 08:50 AM

Hello,

sorry for this late reaction.

The option of having 2 jobs in place it the most simple one and to prefer.
    However, it still is up to my customer if he wants that or not.
    Otherwise a standard calendar needs to be created with all consequences it has with it.

For myself I would like to close this issue now since it seems that by a 'condition setting' a solution is not possible.
    I wish to thank all of those in the community who supported me to find a solution to this.
    Many thanks.