AutoSys Workload Automation

View Only
  • 1.  Microsoft SQL Mirror versus Clustering

Posted Oct 15, 2015 12:08 PM

All,

We're considering a SQL mirror to provide high-availablilty for the MS SQL database portion of our new Autosys installation (11.3.6).  We've been previously running with dual event servers, but have found it cumbersome when one of the event servers becomes out of sync.  We must take a schedule outage to re-sync the DBs and then restart.  We're hoping avoid this by utilizing synchronous mirror solution provided by the DB tools.

I'm curious of a few different topics / questions:

1. Is anyone using such a setup today? 
    2. How did you address forcing Autosys to the partner in event of failover

Our DBAs are telling us to configure the application connection strings to provide the failover partner address, but we keep informing them this configuration does not appear possible within the application settings given the internally built ODBC connection strings.  But, perhaps we're misunderstanding a key portion of the connection.

Thanks for reading / replying.

/josh

• 2.  Re: Microsoft SQL Mirror versus Clustering
    Best Answer

Posted Oct 15, 2015 12:31 PM

At the implementation/architecture gigs that I have done, my preference has been to use the native database mirroring vs. the native AE dual Event Server.

The database of choice has been Oracle [RMAN/RAC] and in principle, I am sure that the same can be applied to M$ SQL.

For Oracle, it is up to the DBA to provide the correct strings for the TNS file aka "connector".

The TNS is external to AE in the sense that AE depends on the correct configuration strings to be provided by Oracle in the TNS.

Good Luck

Chris

• 3.  Re: Microsoft SQL Mirror versus Clustering

Posted Oct 15, 2015 06:37 PM

My understanding is we don't have control over the ODBC connection within Windows, but I could be wrong.  We are asking them to evaluate Always On setup too, which would resolve the mirroring issue.