AutoSys Workload Automation

View Only
  • 1.  [AutoSys] job creation / status / ON_ICE

Posted Jul 21, 2014 02:29 PM

Hello, do you guys have any idea if there is a way to create jobs(via jil job definitions) which are ON_ICEd instead of creating them and then setting them manually ON_ICE?

Thanks in advance.

Hey that's my first post ever here !

• 2.  Re: [AutoSys] job creation / status / ON_ICE

Posted Jul 21, 2014 09:07 PM

Hi Iriney,

Welcome to CA WA Communities.

While this reply doesn't directly address the requirement of placing jobs ON_ICE as initial status after insertion, I thought a couple of existing options you might be interested in.

1) auto_hold JIL attribute. This applies to jobs within a box (requires box_name jil attribute). When the container box goes to RUNNING, the sub-job with auto_hold set, is put ON_HOLD.

2) (Applicable to 11.3.5/11.3.6 only) If the ON_ICE requirement is for a specific migration or cutover task, then a workaround could be to place the  agent machine, where the job is to run, in OFFLINE mode, then use the GlobalPendMachStatus parameter in the configuration to set the jobs to ON_ICE status. This, however, is a global setting. Meaning, any existing job defined to run on such agent machine placed OFFLINE will also be set to ON_ICE status. This method, hence is practical during initial job loading/migration/cutover.

Thank you,

Chandru

• 3.  Re: [AutoSys] job creation / status / ON_ICE
    Best Answer

Posted Jul 30, 2014 03:19 PM

When a job is first created it is by default in the "INACTIVE" status.

There are no options which will change the initial state of a job.

I have seen situations where the creation of jobs is addressed by using scripts and these scripts can in turn be configured to automatically issue a sendevent to change the status of the job.

Regards,

John McCarthy

Senior Support Engineer

CA Technologies

• 4.  Re: [AutoSys] job creation / status / ON_ICE

Posted Aug 21, 2014 07:18 AM

Hello,

Thanks for your help guys. In - fact when you need to create, let's say 300 jobs (in my case) and a customer is asking those jobsto be set ON_ICE, the main problem is with the file-watchers, or jobs having pretty intensive schedule.

If some of the jobs start, you need to terminate them first, if they have already started and so on, which leads to additional work.

So I think we're going to an improvement/feature suggestion here.

I am suggesting a flag/string in a job definition that is setting the job in a desired status upon committing it to the AutoSys DB.

/* ----------------- SOMESAMPLEJOB001 ----------------- */

insert_job: SOMESAMPLEJOB001   job_type: c

box_name: SOMESAMPLEBOX

command: $${EPICHOST_SHELLSCRIPTS}/SCRIPT.sh FLUSH

machine: EPICHOST

owner: noob@EPICHOST

permission: gx,ge,wx,we,mx,me

condition: s(SOMESAMPLEJOB000)

description: "Transfert du fichier de la machine UNIX vers le bridge"

std_out_file: $${AUTOSYS_LOG_PATH}/SOMESAMPLEJOB001.out

std_err_file: $${AUTOSYS_LOG_PATH}/SOMESAMPLEJOB001.err

max_run_alarm: 20

alarm_if_fail: 1

creation_status_use: 0/1

creation_status: SUCCESS / ON_HOLD / ON_ICE...TERMINATED(why not, might be useful for DEV purposes )

What do you think?

Have a great day And thanks again for the help.

BR,

Iriney

• 5.  Re: [AutoSys] job creation / status / ON_ICE

Posted Aug 21, 2014 11:57 AM

One other option, if you are on autosys 11.3 SP1 or above, you can insert the jobs with the date_conditions: flag set to zero. This will keep the jobs from scheduling, then when you are ready to run the jobs the date_conditions flag can be toggled to 1 and then the next start will be calculated and the job will run at the next appropriate time. Granted it is extra work but it would keep the jobs from starting before you can take further action.

I hope this is helpful,

Richard Knight

Senior Support Engineer

CA Technologies

• 6.  Re: [AutoSys] job creation / status / ON_ICE

Community Manager
    Posted Aug 22, 2014 09:56 AM

Iriney Staykov: If you'd like to submit this as an enhancement request, please create an Idea here in the community. If you need help doing that, just let me know and I can walk you through it!

• 7.  Re: [AutoSys] job creation / status / ON_ICE

Posted Oct 24, 2014 06:15 AM

Hello,

I just found this topic which is even older than mine I think >insert status in JIL , and i really like to unite both topics into one discussion of possible, submit that idea and all vote for it !  

ordo Antony_Askew.1