Rally Software

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Portfolio Item hierarchy is the power of Rally

• 1.  Portfolio Item hierarchy is the power of Rally

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Feb 26, 2020 12:48 PM
    One of my customers has made the stipulation that every story should be connected to a Feature. They then go further and say that if we are making plans with higher levels of the hierarchy, then each feature is mandated to have a parent. Each parent is then mandated to have another parent all the way up to the overall grand plan (top most) level of the organisation.

The theory behind this is that  if someone in the organisation is doing work, then there must be a reason for it. It also must be part of the overall work that is being done by the organisation and visible. To only have part the work visible is akin to measuring how many stories you generate, but not looking at the test cases and defects that these stories generate as they propagate out into customers environments.

There has been a lot of push back within my customer from various teams that like to be able 'to do their own thing'. To counter that, one could say that it is fine to do your own thing, but just make it visible so that we can understand it's value to the company.

My customer asked if I could look into how to count the 'connected' items. If this is ringing any bells in terms of your own organisation, or if you are also interested to know how much of your organisations work might be skunk-works, then try this app below and let me know if it useful or not. I would be interested in the feedback as to whether the app has any merit. The app can only see what you can, so for a big picture, you need to be subadmin and at the top level of the Project Hierarchy.

There are actually two parts to the app:
    https://github.com/nikantonelli/Parentage-Trend
    https://github.com/nikantonelli/Parentage-Trend/tree/Parentage-Truth-Table

------------------------------
    Nik
    Ask me a question, I'm All Ears!
    Rally Sales Engineer
    Rally Software

• 2.  RE: Portfolio Item hierarchy is the power of Rally

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Mar 05, 2020 09:26 AM
    Put two of these apps (https://github.com/nikantonelli/Parentage-Trend/tree/Parentage-LBAPI-Truth-Table) on one page, you can get an image like this:

Nik
    Rally Sales Engineer
    Rally Software

• 3.  RE: Portfolio Item hierarchy is the power of Rally

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Mar 05, 2020 09:28 AM
    Anybody prepared to run this later version of the app and share with me the numbers (privately, if needed)?

I would like to get a feel for what level of connectivity customers are comfortable with.

Nik
    Rally Sales Engineer
    Rally Software

• 4.  RE: Portfolio Item hierarchy is the power of Rally

Posted Mar 05, 2020 09:44 AM
    Sure

• 5.  RE: Portfolio Item hierarchy is the power of Rally

Posted Mar 05, 2020 10:06 AM
    Edited by Mitch Goldman Mar 05, 2020 10:09 AM

Here are my results:

A few points:
    1) This result was just produced at 8:05am MST but it's showing a sample date of March 4th.  Is there a time zone issue in the code?
    2) It would be helpful to be able to filter in/out items based on schedule state.  We have a mandate that all user stories trace back to features but that 94.8% figure had me go trying to figure out where the misses are.  We have a lot of all stories in "B" status, which we consider basically drafts and those would not have any parentage enforced on them yet since they have not gone through grooming. But the total sample size of user stories here is smaller than our total number so is this already filtering on completed or accepted stories?  I know we had a number of stories very early on that were not parented and maybe this 5 percent or so is that group.

Otherwise, I do really like this page. It's a good look at some key compliance metrics that help keep our time charging and accounting rules in line.

• 6.  RE: Portfolio Item hierarchy is the power of Rally

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Mar 05, 2020 10:11 AM
    The code just does a "new Date()" if there is nothing set in the app settings. So, not sure how it would be out of sync particularly. Just to be sure, you can actually delete the date in the app settings and it defaults back to that behaviour - just in case.

Nik
    Rally Sales Engineer
    Rally Software

• 7.  RE: Portfolio Item hierarchy is the power of Rally

Posted Mar 05, 2020 10:14 AM

That fixed it!

• 8.  RE: Portfolio Item hierarchy is the power of Rally

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Mar 05, 2020 10:22 AM
    The app doesn't apply any filters - it takes the state of the LBAPI data using "__At" for that date. Unless I made a mistake, it should be taking all items of a particular type (HierarchicalRequirement, Feature, Epic, etc.,) in its entirety.

The idea behind the app was to give the complete unvarnished truth about stuff rather than allowing anyone to filter away things they didn't want to see...... ;-)

It can only show you the stuff that is visible by you in the project node that you are in (and below, if selected in the project dropdown). I noticed that you updated the post with a different set of data (8.05 vs 7.50am). Was that just by going into a different project node?

Thanks for running this by the way. 94%+ is far better than my other (large) customer is getting.

Nik
    Rally Sales Engineer
    Rally Software

• 9.  RE: Portfolio Item hierarchy is the power of Rally

Posted Mar 05, 2020 10:32 AM
    The screenshot I took at 7:50 was lost and I accidentally posted one from about 5 min earlier which included two things I had since cleaned up.  It also had a cursor in the way which I wanted gone. So I grabbed a new one at 8:05 and reposted it.

My project tree is like this (stripped of actual names for the sake of corporate privacy):

I was parked in "Software" when I took this reading, as I expected it to encompass all software work.  Currently we have 4,857 user stories under software and 518 under hardware. That's why I was questioning why the app was giving me a user story count of 2,421.

• 10.  RE: Portfolio Item hierarchy is the power of Rally

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Mar 05, 2020 11:02 AM
    Mitch, is it possible that your stories are not where you think they are in the Project hierarchy?

If you enable the developer tools in Chrome and put a debugger statement in the code at line 38, you can capture the data of what the app did see. You can see in the lower pane, that there are only three filters: date, project and type. Not sure how it can miss things out unless Project is not correct for all stories or they are in projects you do not have permissions for.

Nik
    Rally Sales Engineer
    Rally Software

• 11.  RE: Portfolio Item hierarchy is the power of Rally

Posted Mar 05, 2020 11:12 AM
    I'll take a look later but I am a subscription admin, so I have access to see everything and the user story numbers I gave you were reported by the custom list app.  
    Here's my current scope:

Here's the total user story count from the custom list:

Here's your app without changing scope:
    But I will take a look at your suggestions later when I have some time in my schedule.

• 12.  RE: Portfolio Item hierarchy is the power of Rally

Posted Mar 05, 2020 01:28 PM
    I am seeing similar results: The Truth table shows 26862 User Stories but a custom list of User Stories in the same scope shows a total of 46411 and the User Stories page shows 46349 (there is another thread about the discrepancy between the User Stories page and other pages).  The table below shows all the counts, none of which match. I used the Portfolio Item list (no filter) for all portfolio item counts.

On another note, I do agree with Mitch that adding the ability to filter would be nice - we also have rules and governance around parenting user stories up to features, etc., but only govern stories that are Defined or greater. If they are in the team's Idea backlog, we really don't care. If this app could be adjusted to filter out what we don't govern it would be a big win!

Terry Ginzburg

• 13.  RE: Portfolio Item hierarchy is the power of Rally

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Mar 05, 2020 02:01 PM
    Edited by Nik Antonelli Mar 05, 2020 02:01 PM
    Hi @Terry Ginzburg,

Would you be able to enable the developer tools and capture the output from it? Just like the image I sent before. I would like to see the number that get generated and the filters that are used.

Nik
    Rally Sales Engineer
    Rally Software

• 14.  RE: Portfolio Item hierarchy is the power of Rally

Posted Mar 05, 2020 03:14 PM
    Nik, help me out a bit here. In Chrome's developer tools, which file am I looking for to drop that break point?

• 15.  RE: Portfolio Item hierarchy is the power of Rally

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Mar 05, 2020 04:27 PM
    It really depends on which file you used to get the code forom the repo. If you went to get App-uncompressed.html, then it is a bit easier to find as it is more human readable. The easiest way is to load that file into the Custom HTML, go to the code and search for the subroutine _processResults. If you drop a debugger statement into the first line of that routine, you should be able to get the data.

Nik
    Rally Sales Engineer
    Rally Software

• 16.  RE: Portfolio Item hierarchy is the power of Rally

Posted Mar 05, 2020 04:50 PM
    Sorry to report that although I am using apps-uncompressed, I couldn't sort it what you were asking me to do.  Any time I searched on that subroutine, I came up empty.

• 17.  RE: Portfolio Item hierarchy is the power of Rally

Posted Mar 06, 2020 10:54 AM
    I too was seeing only a small sample of the user stories 10,581 / 42,072 and Features 1,597 / 7,939.  I found in the Edit App Settings where I could change the Start and End dates to extend the life of the workspace so that I could include all US and Features.  However, this overinflates the User Stories 50,289 / 42,072.  the Features are right on, 7,939 / 7,939.  Are work items in closed projects or the Recycle Bin being included in the counts? 

This is an awesome app and one my Scrum Master will get great value out of. 
    Thank you
    Stephanie

• 18.  RE: Portfolio Item hierarchy is the power of Rally
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Mar 06, 2020 11:34 AM
    Hi @Stephanie Mohler, thankyou for solving the conundrum! You are using the previous branch of the code, so I was thinking about the wrong version.

The one that everyone must be using filters for things created in the past 12 months. @Terry Ginzburg, @Mitch Goldman

I have a new updated version here: 
    https://github.com/nikantonelli/Parentage-Trend/tree/Parentage-LBAPI-Truth-Table

This latest version now uses the LBAPI to get the state of play on the selected date. It can also select to only fetch items 'Created' with a previous timebox (that ends on that date) of a number of months of data.​​​

Nik
    Rally Sales Engineer
    Rally Software

• 19.  RE: Portfolio Item hierarchy is the power of Rally

Posted Mar 06, 2020 03:33 PM

Just installed the new version.
    Prior to install this was my results today:

Installed the new version and set the creation period to 12 months and now get this result:
    I guess the percentage to Epic is zero because the epics are older than 12 months and the percent to feature is 33% for the same reason. In my view, portfolio items should not be excluded based on that creation date period. But maybe that's my own issue based on the nature of our portfolio items and it would be a valid use case for others.  I am interested on what others think of this based on their own data.

• 20.  RE: Portfolio Item hierarchy is the power of Rally

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Mar 06, 2020 03:46 PM
    I think I would be also quite interested in other people experiences here. I normally propose that customers limit features to work items that last a couple of sprints and that the next level up (Epics in your case) lasts up to 3 months. The third level up is then for the yearly planning cycle (Initiatives?)

Nik
    Rally Sales Engineer
    Rally Software

• 21.  RE: Portfolio Item hierarchy is the power of Rally

Posted Mar 06, 2020 04:28 PM
    How long the stories take within a feature don't have a bearing on the original creation date of the feature work item. Features often exists for months before the component stories being brought to a team for consideration and then longer for sprinting.

• 22.  RE: Portfolio Item hierarchy is the power of Rally

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Mar 07, 2020 05:10 AM
    My apologies, @Mitch Goldman, I misread what you wrote. I was thinking you didn't have any recent features​ and they were all created over 12 months ago. 
    Doh!

Nik
    Rally Sales Engineer
    Rally Software

• 23.  RE: Portfolio Item hierarchy is the power of Rally

Posted Jun 11, 2020 12:46 PM

Hi Nik, 

Has there been any additional consideration to allowing filters on the report? The app can be added to a Release filtered page but does not honor the Release filter.

We would be particularly interested in a Release filter (with the understanding that this would only show rows for User Stories and Features [lowest level portfolio item] since these are the only things have that the Release field. 

A lot of Features are created a few months when they are scheduled and some are created in haste during the PI in response to changing requirements (less frequent but it does happen) so referencing the creation date does not necessarily give us the right set of User Stories/Features we would want to see. 

Thank you for considering! 

Lean Analyst
    EBSCO Information Services

• 24.  RE: Portfolio Item hierarchy is the power of Rally

Posted Jun 11, 2020 03:45 PM

Hi Nik, 

Unrelated to my question about filtering, I have used the app as it is and limited to things created by 6/20/20, and looking three months back. 

There are Features that were created in this time frame that roll up to Epics, but the Feature to Epic cell is still showing 0%. Is this because the *Epic* wasn't also created in that timeframe? Or could there be another reason?

Lean Analyst
    EBSCO Information Services

• 25.  RE: Portfolio Item hierarchy is the power of Rally

Posted Mar 09, 2020 11:33 AM
    I tried the app. Here's what I found. And I have a couple observations and questions.

I used Work Views with filters to see if those numbers match the above app and here are my results. 
    1. Total number of stories don't seem to match. Is there something I'm missing with filters?
    2. Our Stories are tied to Epics and Percent to Epic is shown at 78% in the app. But again, when I use Work Views to add another filter with Epic=No Entry, I get 401 stories in results. This equates to about 88% (mapped).
    3. What is the difference between Percent to Theme on the Stories and Epics rows? Is the first row telling how many of the epics mapped to the stories have themes and second row telling how many overall epics have themes?

Project Coordinator
    John Deere
    Cedar Falls, Iowa

• 26.  RE: Portfolio Item hierarchy is the power of Rally

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Mar 09, 2020 11:52 AM
    Hi Nivi,

The LBAPI will find all those things that existed then, even if they are now deleted or moved somewhere else out of sight.. The Work Views uses WSAPI which gives you the state of play of the here and now. It is an interesting difference and I am not sure which is the best representation.

The percentages are: Userstories that are connected to Epics (78.2)% , then filter to all of those that are also connected to Themes (46%) , then all of those that are also connected to Program (0%).

In the Epics row, you cannot be parented by a Epic (0%),  those Epics parented to a theme (64.8), filter to all of those that are connected to a Program (0%),

Etc., etc.

Nik
    Rally Sales Engineer
    Rally Software

• 27.  RE: Portfolio Item hierarchy is the power of Rally

Posted Mar 09, 2020 12:01 PM
    Hey Nik,
    Okay, thanks for the clarification! :)

Personally I think I care more about what is currently the situation, and the deleted stories don't really bother me. 

Regards,
    Nivi

Project Coordinator
    John Deere
    Cedar Falls, Iowa

• 28.  RE: Portfolio Item hierarchy is the power of Rally

Posted Mar 07, 2020 10:01 AM
    Okay, dumb question of the week. How does one get an app from GitHub into Rally? I've only ever used the apps in the Rally community.

- Keith Jones
    - MCIC Vermont

• 29.  RE: Portfolio Item hierarchy is the power of Rally

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Mar 07, 2020 11:58 AM
    Hi Keith, there's never a dumb question on here! :-)

What you will need is the html code that gets generated by building the app. Most developers post the built code for you to copy and paste into the 'HTML' panel of a Custom HTML app. The Custom HTML app is a standard one in the app catalog and described a bit in the help pages.

Some developers create App.txt or Ugly.txt files and others create App-uncompressed.html or App.html files. The are usually placed in the 'deploy' directory of a github repo. So, if you go here: https://github.com/nikantonelli/Parentage-Trend/tree/Parentage-LBAPI-Truth-Table/deploy you will find the files I made. Take the contents of App-uncompressed.

Let me know if you get any problems.

Nik
    Rally Sales Engineer
    Rally Software

• 30.  RE: Portfolio Item hierarchy is the power of Rally

Posted Mar 07, 2020 02:32 PM
    Perfect, thanks!

- Keith Jones