Rally Software

View Only
  • 1.  Copying Stories causing Schedule State and Flow State to be out of Sync

Posted Feb 21, 2020 11:25 AM

We just discovered an issue that is causing the Schedule State and Flow State of work items to become out of sync. When copying a work item, if the task workflow is enabled for the project but the tasks on the work item don't match with the workflow rules (for example a story is accepted but not all of the tasks are completed), when the copy is made, the Flow State of the original story is changed to a flow state that maps to the In-Progress Schedule State. If all of the tasks are in the Defined state, the Flow State of the original story is changed to a flow state that maps to the Defined Schedule State AND the In-Progress date is removed. Note that the Schedule State is not changed, only the Flow State, and if the story is Accepted, the Accepted Date is not removed. So the result could be a story with Schedule State of Accepted, Flow State of Defined, no In Progress Date but with an Accepted Date.

We've logged this as a defect but are curious to see if other customers see the same thing. I found historical examples of out of sync items back to 2017 so it is not a new issue. Is anyone else seeing this?

------------------------------
    Terry Ginzburg

• 2.  RE: Copying Stories causing Schedule State and Flow State to be out of Sync

Posted Feb 24, 2020 05:19 PM
    Hi @Terry Ginzburg I opened a support case #20313576 with Broadcom to look into why the scheduled state and flow state are out of synch.  @Lori Bell I wonder if this is related to our issue as well.  @Terry Ginzburg  What ID are you working from?

SHERI L. MOORE | SENIOR PRODUCT MANAGER
    ENTERPRISE PROGRAM MANAGEMENT OFFICE (ePMO)
    AMERICAN EXPRESS
    TRCN | 19640 N. 31st Avenue, MC: 18-02-01 | Phoenix, AZ 85027
    O: 602766-1656 | E: Sheri.L.Moore@aexp.com

• 3.  RE: Copying Stories causing Schedule State and Flow State to be out of Sync

Posted Feb 25, 2020 09:13 AM

Hi Sheri, 

What do you mean by what ID?  

One cause we discovered for out of sync states is teams who don't have at least one column mapped to each schedule state. We have six schedule states, adding Idea to the beginning and Released to the end of the standard four. Some teams don't map to Idea or Released. If they don't have an Idea column, when they create a story anywhere other than on the Team Board, the Schedule State defaults to Idea but the Flow State can't be Idea since it doesn't exist, so the Flow State is set to whatever state maps to Defined. Same with Released - if they change a story to Released other than on the team board, and they don't have a flow state mapped to Released, the Flow state is set to whatever state maps to Accepted.

But that is only part of the issue. The copying issue has caused some stories (the story being copied) to be in Accepted or Released schedule state but a flow state mapped to Defined, In-Progress or Completed, depending on the state of tasks on the story. The worst part is the loss of the In-Progress date on some, which affects cycle time and other metrics. Hopefully they get that resolved soon!

Terry Ginzburg

• 4.  RE: Copying Stories causing Schedule State and Flow State to be out of Sync

Posted Feb 25, 2020 10:50 AM
    Hi @Terry Ginzburg I was talking about the Defect ID that you are working from with Broadcom.  Sounds like your team has done quite a bit of research on this issue, should be super helpful in getting this resolved!​

AMERICAN EXPRESS

• 5.  RE: Copying Stories causing Schedule State and Flow State to be out of Sync

Posted Feb 25, 2020 10:59 AM
    Makes sense!  I don't have a Defect ID from their team, our case number is: 20322035 

I'll see if I can get an update and the Defect ID today.

Terry Ginzburg

• 6.  RE: Copying Stories causing Schedule State and Flow State to be out of Sync
    Best Answer

Posted Feb 25, 2020 11:18 AM
    @Sheri Moore

Our Defect ID is DE51200. The defect is currently being prioritized.

I'll update this thread as I get more info.​

Terry Ginzburg

• 7.  RE: Copying Stories causing Schedule State and Flow State to be out of Sync

Posted Feb 25, 2020 11:55 AM
    Awesome, thanks so much!

AMERICAN EXPRESS