Rally Software

View Only
  • 1.  Custom Page / View - Ability to print a print friendly page or to a PDF

Posted Jun 25, 2020 05:53 PM
    ​We use custom page and add various apps (graphs and lists) that provide a scrum team status at the end of the iteration.  We save those as PDF's as a point in time reference and post the links to a wiki page.
    Is there a way that a print function be provided at the custom page level, that allows the various apps in the page to print cleanly without the borders and the filter fields, but just the content of the custom app?  So, if I have 3 custom apps in a custom page, I want to see the content of the 3 apps on the page, without the app borders and fields that are related to filters. 
    Is this something that can be done or does someone know if there is something available that allows for this?

Regards,

------------------------------
    Tony Soares
    Release Train Engineer
    UnitedHealthcare
    PA

• 2.  RE: Custom Page / View - Ability to print a print friendly page or to a PDF

Posted Jun 25, 2020 06:01 PM
    Cropped screenshot?

• 3.  RE: Custom Page / View - Ability to print a print friendly page or to a PDF

Posted Jun 25, 2020 07:38 PM

Hi Mitch,

I guess we could crop the multiple custom apps within the custom page, but I have been working on streamlining the process for doing statuses, by doing them within Rally as opposed to doing them via external tools such as Excel and PowerPoint.  In the process, I was able to create the custom pages, however, printing these to PDF is a challenge, both in how it pulls in all of the app borders and filter fields, etc. which also take up a lot of space, as well as the quirkiness with printing out of the browser, which is inconsistent and sometimes it cuts off the content on the right hand side, even after playing with all the settings.
    I was hoping that there was a solution, similar to how most custom apps provide a print button that prints out just the content / output, I was hoping that similar functionality could be added to the overall custom page.

I've added an image of the custom page for the scrum team end of iteration status, for context

Thanks,

Scrum Team Iteration Status

Tony Soares
    Release Train Engineer
    UnitedHealthcare
    PA

• 4.  RE: Custom Page / View - Ability to print a print friendly page or to a PDF

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jun 26, 2020 03:33 AM
    Edited by Nik Antonelli Jun 26, 2020 03:33 AM
    Hi Tony,

I had a go at printing to PDF a while ago. Here is what I did: https://github.com/nikantonelli/TypeDefinition-Hierarchy/blob/fec07f347b320d05bb631df5c47c09766898d323/App.js#L9

The basic idea was to convert a chosen drawn part of the screen, from the display technology (in this case SVG) and convert to PDF. It meant that you could chose the specific thing that needed exporting and not the entire page.

If you are drawing using the SDK, then that is from ExtJs. I am sure there is an alternative package to do ExtJs to PDF somewhere on the web.

Nik
    Ask me a question, I'm All Ears!
    Rally Sales Engineer
    Rally Software

• 5.  RE: Custom Page / View - Ability to print a print friendly page or to a PDF

Posted Jun 26, 2020 01:40 PM
    Hi Nik,

Thank you for your response.  Since I am not a developer, much of what you mentioned above, I don't understand.  Typically when you provide a link to code, I am able to take it and add it to a custom app, however, what do I do with the code you have in the link?
    Currently, I go to a custom page in Rally, with several custom apps in it and I am trying to print that custom page.  If you can please provide me the steps I need to execute the code you sent, that would be great.

Thank you,

Tony Soares
    Release Train Engineer
    UnitedHealthcare
    PA