I am trying to import User stories by using the import template.
Though using the template and only making a few changes for test purposes, I always get the following error:
The name is obviously in the file. Any ideas what goes wrong here?
The exported Owner name is actually the display name for the Owner. Can you verify if your display name is same as the owner id you entered?
This article will provide you with more information.
Excel: User not found in cell error when attemptin - CA Knowledge
The error message is a little different but the resolution would be to verify how your display name is setup and make sure that matches the owner field.
Please let us know if you have any questions.
Many thanks for your quick support.
I tried it with both the display name as well as with no name at all (including the removal of 'Owner' from the file headers).
The result is the same. During import the error message 'Name required'
Any more tips that I can try?
I can see that your Schedule State is Defined. It's a String type field so it should be "Defined" in double-quotes. Please give that a try. If still same error then my suggestion is:
Start building up this file with lesser fields until you'll find the offending field. Start with Name, Description, then add 2-3 more fields, then 2-3 more etc.. (where each time you have the exact same values that you had in that screenshot you gave us), until it will fail and then you'll narrow down the offending field.
I hope the Schedule State is the problem as I mentioned above.
Let us know if helped.
I did some some further research and found what is causing the issue and how to resolve it.
Name is required error on import - CA Knowledge
A user is attempting to import work items to Agile Central and is receiving a "Name is required" error
The error seems to make no sense as the Name is clearly specified on the import file.
The file encoding was changed to an unsupported one after the file was edited and re-saved to the computer.
Simply re-save the file directly as .csv.
1. In Excel, click File --> Save As
2. Select File Format "Comma-Separated Values (.csv)" from the dropdown
3. Click Save
4. Re-import the file
The import should now be successful given there are no other data validation issues.
Please let me know if you have any further issues.
I realized the screenshots didn't appear so I'm reposting.
A user is attempting to import work items to Agile Central and is receiving a "Name is required" error.
Yeah, that seems to be the solution. I used the CSV UTF-8, but that seems to cause the problem.
Many thanks for your help!!