Rally Software

View Only
  • 1.  Defects & Defect Suites view

Posted Feb 15, 2019 11:37 AM

Is there any way I can view a list of defects with a column showing the defect suite associated with the defect?

(Custom list allows me to add Defect Suites as a column, but the resultant column only shows the number of defect suites associated and not the Suite itself)

Sagi_Gabay

• 2.  Re: Defects & Defect Suites view

Posted Feb 15, 2019 11:48 AM

Is there at least a way to deep export defect suites? That way I can do my filtering and such offline. 

I tried the excel add in as well, there doesn't seem to be a way to see this either on Rally or offline! 

• 3.  Re: Defects & Defect Suites view
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Feb 15, 2019 12:16 PM

Hi Niveditha,

Unfortunately not.  The reason you see the count number on defect suites when you add that column (anywhere you add it, on the defects page, work views, custom list etc.. ) - is because this is our default behavior for displaying a 'collection field'. I'll explain what I mean:

A collection field is a field that references a collection of objects. For example, on a defect, we have the field named: "Defect Suites" which is a collection of Defect Suite objects. This means a defect can belong in many defect-suites.

The default behavior in our display for such collection field is to display the count of the collection. So, this will tell you how many defect-suites the defect is part of, but that's all.

We do have a few screens and apps that override this basic function and allow more information such as a Tree structure where you can expand and see the individual objects. However, none of our apps, including community apps, including Excel (as you pointed out), is overriding this functionality for the field: "Defect Suites" on the Defect object. That's why in all screens you still see the default - which is the count.

So, all in all, unfortunately there isn't anything like that at this time. Obviously you're welcome to post an enhancement request at our ideas site to have it in a future release.

Sagi

• 4.  Re: Defects & Defect Suites view

Posted Feb 15, 2019 12:31 PM

Oh, that's disappointing.

And there's no way to filter by defect suite even through exports, is that right?

• 5.  Re: Defects & Defect Suites view

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Feb 15, 2019 12:52 PM

Hi.

Not by default. By default you will get just the count of the defect-suites for each defect. That is true to our UI, to Excel, to the DB connector etc..

It requires some kind of development to follow-up with queries into that collection object so that you can explore it and return the individual names or references of each of the defect suite objects in the collection. 

You can do some filtering such as: (DefectSuites.Name = "<some name>") , or similar queries - but all this will do is filter the defects you're getting to match your filter. It will not change the display column to specify more details of the defect suite.

Yet, perhaps this filtering is better than nothing:

So, for example if it's going to help you to filter for a few specific defect-suites then you can include such a query to the Custom List settings 'query' argument. Maybe even make a copy (second instance) of custom list where using such a filter, where another instance isn't (or using yet another filter) and in such a way compare your results. Perhaps that can help.

But there isn't a way to populate the column to display the details of the defect-suites or have them expanded in a 'tree like manner' (such as in Deep Export) - both these options don't exist.

Sagi

• 6.  Re: Defects & Defect Suites view

Posted Feb 15, 2019 01:40 PM

:Sigh:

Thank you Sagi for the detailed explanations.  I appreciate it.

Regards,

Niveditha

• 7.  Re: Defects & Defect Suites view

Posted Feb 15, 2019 07:15 PM

I was just now looking for a similar thing - trying to find out how to display the defect suite field on Defects summary page.  thought I was doing something wrong because it seemed illogical to have a summary page that didn't show a key field related to the object type.  But it's really not there, not even for a custom view.

I can write an Idea for it, but thought I'd ask first whether this is in current development to add?  Just really puzzled that it's not there (I spent a lot of time trying to figure this out to no avail).

• 8.  Re: Defects & Defect Suites view

Posted Feb 18, 2019 09:48 AM

Hey Kim,

Yeah, I was really surprised to see that what felt like a basic view option wasn't available. 

There is already an idea for this that I found: DE471

(This was created in 2008 and 2 years ago an admin had updated saying this was being worked on)

Regards,

Niveditha