Rally Software

View Only
  • 1.  How do we use the "Time in State" report for our Team Board data?

Posted Sep 12, 2017 04:18 PM

We use the "Time in State" report (which CA published to GitHub) for root cause analysis of logjams on our Kanban teams.  On this report, you can select "Kanban State", "Scheduled State", and other fields as filters.  However, I don't see any way to select the columns that we create for the new Team Board.

How can we do that?

• 2.  Re: How do we use the "Time in State" report for our Team Board data?

Posted Sep 14, 2017 08:52 AM

If you're asking about the app at GitHub - RallyCommunity/TimeInState and you're looking for the states from the Team Board then you'd want the Flow State column. I actually hadn't seen that app before and for some reason I'm unable to get it to draw the chart so I can't validate that. We're not using the Team Board much in my subscription yet but suspect that there may be plans to add a Time In State report for that board as well. Hope that helps.

• 3.  Re: How do we use the "Time in State" report for our Team Board data?

Posted Sep 14, 2017 01:14 PM

Eric,

Thanks for the speedy response!

I looked at that TimeInState link and it's not what I'm referring to.  I'm looking for the actual report listing stories and how long they were in each state for the attribute selected (i.e., KanbanState, State, Scheduled State, etc.).  We use this heavily for deep-dive analysis on WIP logjams but we cannot use it for our teams that use the new Team Board because the "Flow State" column is not in the list of attributes on the TimeInState report's set of filters.

I'm really looking for CA to answer here with timing of when they expect to add "Flow State" as a filtered attribute on the TimeInState report and would be glad to be a guinea pig for this if that would be helpful and could expedite this.

Thanks again.

• 4.  Re: How do we use the "Time in State" report for our Team Board data?

Posted Sep 14, 2017 02:07 PM

Interesting... I don't think that I've seen the time in state report that you described. Could you share the Github link? I'm a metrics junkie and would love to take a look at it. Thanks!

• 5.  Re: How do we use the "Time in State" report for our Team Board data?

Posted Sep 14, 2017 03:57 PM

Hi Eric,

I didn't pull this report from GitHub...someone from our Enterprise support team did and made it available to Kanban teams.  In my role, I lead Kanban initiatives across our entire business segment and consistently train Kanban teams and their leaders to use this TimeInState report. 

Since I don't know the GitHub link, I'd be glad to share the code via email (since I see no way to attach it here).  Once you get it, simply add a new "Custom HTML" report to the report menu and paste in the HTML code that I will provide via email.  I'll also send you a snapshot of the interface so you can see what it should look like once properly configured.

You can email me at jpalm@unitedhealthone.com

So - are you a CA person?  Based on your original response, it doesn't seem so.  I'd really like someone at CA to help make "Flow State" a valid attribute for this TimeInState report, so whatever guidance you could provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

• 6.  Re: How do we use the "Time in State" report for our Team Board data?

Posted Sep 15, 2017 07:07 AM

joseph_ed62,

We would be happy to take a look at the report, however, depending on the source, support for getting it updated may be limited.

You may attach files to your response by clicking on the 'Use advanced editor' in the upper right corner of the comment editor when you respond.

Michael

• 7.  Re: How do we use the "Time in State" report for our Team Board data?

Posted Sep 20, 2017 08:28 AM

Sounds good, Michael. 

And for what it's worth, it's a bit frustrating that CA has rolled out new and improved Kanban functionality that utilizes an entirely new data element (Flow State) without ensuring this new attribute is functional in the critical mass of Kanban-supporting reports and graphs in Agile Central and suspect this limited limited deployment strategy would impede adoption for teams that would like to use the new board but won't because Flow State isn't available elsewhere in the system.

• 8.  Re: How do we use the "Time in State" report for our Team Board data?

Posted Jan 03, 2018 01:18 PM

Agree that without being able to access FLOW STATE the team board is useless.  I'm unable to glean any useful metrics.