Rally Software

View Only
  • 1.  Can't access CA server content from localhost

Posted Jul 15, 2018 09:59 AM

I am working through the "Building your first app" tutorial. The Tutorial recommends external development with Rally-App-Builder.

I installed Rally-App-Builder and wrote a basic "Hello World" app. "Hello Word" works fine at localhost:1337/App-debug.html.

Switching to the tutorial code, it fails because it's not able to access the CA server content. So the iteration dropdown is draw but has no content, and there are no cards in the cardboard.

If I build and deploy the tutorial (ie paste the resulting App.html in a custom  HTML app on the server), it works fine. So either localhost can't reach the server, or the server won't respond to the request.

I am working on my home PC but the CA Central installation is my employer. I am able to log in to CA at rally1.rallydev.com and see the same content as I would in the office. I am using Chrome.

So, a few questions:

1) Is external dev with the App Builder still supported?

2) If yes, can you suggest anything that might be blocking the content in my case?

3) Is there anywhere I can switch on error logging/find local logs to diagnose the problem?

Many thanks

Liz

• 2.  Re: Can't access CA server content from localhost

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jul 17, 2018 02:32 PM

Hi Liz,

If my understanding is correct then your "Hello World" works both in debugging and after deployment. Yet, your Rally iteration drop-down doesn't. It makes sense that you are not creating your model or store objects correctly.

The way to work with the app-builder is by using Chrome's dev-tools, using breakpoints, logging out statements to the chrome's console and finding your way to progress your development this way. It's unclear to me if that's how you're developing it , possibly yes, but I'm not certain.

My recommendation is that you take some time and watch all these training videos at: Build CA Agile Central Custom Apps | CA Agile Central Help  - There are good demonstrations on exactly how to use the app-builder and how to develop and debug your apps.

If after watching that it still didn't help then please:

1. Provide us your app's code.

2. Run it in chrome's dev-tools using the app builder and then let us know what errors you're getting.

Thanks,

Sagi

• 3.  Re: Can't access CA server content from localhost

Posted Jul 17, 2018 05:34 PM

Hi Sagi

I'll explore chrome dev tools - I have the dev tools panel open but not seeing how to set breakpoints.

FWIW the local app started working the next day - no  idea why as I didn't change anything, just refreshed the next day and suddenly all the content loaded.

Thank you for your help

• 4.  Re: Can't access CA server content from localhost

Posted Jul 17, 2018 05:36 PM

(Just a little extra info - I wasn't seeing any errors in the console. Then, once it started working and I started making changes and of course breaking things I was getting error messages. So I wonder if something was getting paused or looping that stopped the script completing)

• 5.  Re: Can't access CA server content from localhost

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Jul 17, 2018 05:44 PM

Thanks Liz.

Here is a link that should help you finding ways to set breakpoints in Chrome devtools:

The Three Ways of Setting Breakpoints in JavaScript | Laurence Gellert's Blog 

Normally you can simply open the file in the dev tools project, then click on the left side of your code line and it should set a breakpoint.

An alternative good way to debug is to print to the console and then reading your console output and leaning how your code behaved. 

I believe the videos link I had shared with should address that as well. 

Have you watched these videos?

Sagi