Rally Software

View Only
  • 1.  How can I use wildcard characters to query for tags?

Posted Oct 27, 2017 12:48 PM

For example, I want to search for all tags containing "ball," like "dodgeball" & "football" and would like to use "*ball" in my search. Thanks for your help!

• 2.  Re: How can I use wildcard characters to query for tags?

Posted Oct 27, 2017 02:10 PM

Tags:*ball

• 3.  Re: How can I use wildcard characters to query for tags?

Posted Oct 27, 2017 02:20 PM

Rally would not allow me to enter a tag that doesn't exist 

• 4.  Re: How can I use wildcard characters to query for tags?

Posted Oct 27, 2017 03:05 PM

Where are you searching/entering?  Screen Cap?

• 5.  Re: How can I use wildcard characters to query for tags?
    Best Answer

Posted Nov 07, 2017 10:01 AM

You never replied to the request for clarification, but:

• If you're talking about the search box at the top of every page then the previous reply is exactly right.
    • If you're talking about the dialog where you tag a work item then just start typing ball and the search will return all tags that contain ball.
    • If you're trying to limit a query someplace like a Custom List by tags then the query argument in Settings would be (Tags.Name contains "ball").

Hope that helps.

• 6.  Re: How can I use wildcard characters to query for tags?

Posted Nov 07, 2017 01:47 PM

Thank you Eric - please see attached for a screenshot. Its possible your custom list solution is what I am looking for. tag filters

• 7.  Re: How can I use wildcard characters to query for tags?

Posted Nov 07, 2017 01:58 PM

Hi Elise- as you're seeing already, using simple filters requires that you start entering the tag name and then choose a tag (only one) from the result list and then you'll get a list of items with just that exact tag. In Plan >> Backlog you can only use filters but there's an alternative that's at least as simple as using a Custom List, and it has the advantage of letting you query more than one item type (e.g. user story AND defect AND portfolio item).

If you go to Plan >> Work Views then you'll find that if you add a Tags filter there and type ball into the tag name field then a pick list of all tags containing ball will present, and you can simply set the checkboxes next to all of the desired tags and get your results. If you haven't experimented with Work Views yet then there's a good help topic at Work Views | CA Agile Central Help . My users love them!