Rally Software

View Only
  • 1.  On TASK BOARD, why would you use "ready to pull" feature instead of just pulling it?

Posted Nov 10, 2016 12:57 PM

Tool: Rally

I'm trying to understand why someone would use the little "ready to pull" check mark instead of just pulling it over to the next phase...??? 

What is the overall goal or purpose of this field? The documentation does not really give any info as to why or what scenario this would be used. I don't see a benefit of leaving a Task sitting in a column completed, if it should really be in the next column. 

Anyone have any feedback?

Thanks much for any help!  

• 2.  Re: On TASK BOARD, why would you use "ready to pull" feature instead of just pulling it?

Posted Nov 11, 2016 10:32 AM

We only use Ready for user stories for the most part, and even then we use it with caution. I think that parking a work item in a given state and marking it Ready so that someone else can pick it up encourages "waterfall" thinking but there are definitely use cases where a handoff between (for example) a dev/QA process and something like acceptance testing may be necessary. 

For Tasks though... no way. A task is so granular that it should never be passed from hand to hand. Just my .02.

• 3.  Re: On TASK BOARD, why would you use "ready to pull" feature instead of just pulling it?
    Best Answer

Posted Dec 09, 2016 09:04 PM

Ready field is used for indicating that an item is ready and can be picked up for next stage. This give a nice visual clue and collapsable swim lane on Kansan board. It is mostly use to handover one team to another.

Ex: Implement Safe portfolio kanban board. When epic is reviewed and can be moved for analysis it can be marked as ready so that team clearly understand what is there backlog for analysis.

If you have a separate verification team for final acceptance testing , ready field can be used as indication .

• 4.  Re: On TASK BOARD, why would you use "ready to pull" feature instead of just pulling it?

Posted Dec 10, 2016 03:14 PM

Right, but now you're talking about something other than Tasks, and your question was about the Task Board. Tasks are Defined, In-Progress or Completed and that's it. For user stories and defects we never allow them to be passed between teams so again,we use the Ready check sparingly but the use case that you described for portfolio items might be a different story.

• 5.  Re: On TASK BOARD, why would you use "ready to pull" feature instead of just pulling it?

Posted Dec 10, 2016 03:52 PM

Yes, you are correct. I was talking about general use of ready field. Unless some one share task between user I don't see any use of ready field. For user story and defects with distributed team where tester are in different location , I found ready field is useful.

• 6.  Re: On TASK BOARD, why would you use "ready to pull" feature instead of just pulling it?

Posted Feb 09, 2017 12:31 PM

Hey guys! Thanks for your replies. So it sounds like it's not just me that find the button a little silly.

And yes, i was referencing the TASK board, so the question was relating to task-level items specifically. I appreciate your input! Don't think i'll be using the button for daily stand-ups and such (which is where I utilize the task board).

Have a great day!  

EricNash subhendu.chattopadhyay