Rally Software

View Only
  • 1.  Complex Query String syntax in Video

Posted Jan 17, 2018 04:45 PM

Hey, 

I watched the Interactive Grid Refactored video and noticed Dave spit out a rally formatted query string into the browser console.  The video suggests that a query filter string can be more complex.  0:18:59 mark of the video

0:18:59 / 1:16:38

Can I use this in excel add-in or in the query box in custom apps in CA Agile Central UI?

((Blocked = true) OR ((Iteration = "/iteration/9558184479") AND (Severity = "None")))

Thanks in advance, 

Michael.

• 2.  Re: Complex Query String syntax in Video

Posted Jan 18, 2018 07:33 AM

Michael,

Yes, you can use these types of queries in the Custom List App (or other apps that allow queries) and the Excel Add-In.  If you need additional help with them, more information can be found here:

General Query Examples | CA Agile Central Help 

and here:

Build App Queries | CA Agile Central Help 

Hope that helps!

Michael

• 3.  Re: Complex Query String syntax in Video

Posted Jan 18, 2018 03:03 PM

Thanks Michael.  I've read those two pages, many many times.  I can't find where it talks about the ability to combine multiple queries into a single string.

From the guides, I interpreted it as meaning that this query syntax was not allowed and the last query in the string should only have two " )) " and the first should have an extra " ( " for each additional query at the start, etc.  Please confirm the logic behind combining two or more queries into one string?

My New assumption is you need to include an additional outer parenthesis on both sides.  

Query 1: (Project.Name = "Blue Team")  

Query 2: ((Owner.UserName = "tom@acme.com") AND (Iteration.Name = "October Phase One"))

= Combined 1 & 2: ((Project.Name = "Blue Team") OR ((Owner.UserName = "tom@acme.com") AND (Iteration.Name = "October Phase One"))

• 4.  Re: Complex Query String syntax in Video
    Best Answer

Posted Jan 22, 2018 01:23 PM

Ok, I figured it out.  :-)  My assumption was correct.  Just join two queries with an operator in the middle and then put parenthesis around both to close them in as one package.  Again, the help guides weren't clear for me, but i did locate an example of this scenario in the Portfolio Item Query Examples section:

Leaf User Stories Attached To Features In Current Release

(((Feature.Release.ReleaseStartDate <= today) AND (Feature.Release.ReleaseDate >= today)) AND (DirectChildrenCount = 0))

FYI: I used excel to help me combine multiple queries.  While the concept is very simple, combining one or more query strings together when they have random and differing parenthesis on each side gets me lost very easily.  

Thank you!