Rally Software

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

How do I export test steps for a group of test cases?

• 1.  How do I export test steps for a group of test cases?

Posted Jul 10, 2014 05:00 PM
    I am using the excel Add-in to copy a set of tests over to a new workspace.  I do not want all of the 3500 test cases. I do want to copy over all the cases AND their individual steps from some of the test folders. I do not see a way to export test steps that correlate to a set of test cases in a bulk export.  

I am able to export a group of cases by folder name but I can not pick the steps that go with just this set of test cases.   Is there a way to do that?  

• 2.  Re: How do I export test steps for a group of test cases?

Posted Jul 10, 2014 06:19 PM
    The best way to export Test Cases with their Steps and Expected Results would be using the Excel Add-In. You could select Test Case Step as the query type, then type in (copy & paste) the following columns for the information you are looking for:

CreationDate,ExpectedResult,Input,StepIndex,TestCase,TestCase.FormattedID,TestCase.Type,TestCase.WorkProduct

You will want to filter on certain test cases as needed. 

You can find more information on the Excel Add-In here:
    http://help.rallydev.com/rally-add-excel

EDIT: one has to TYPE these fields into that column field, as they are not available for selection

• 3.  Re: How do I export test steps for a group of test cases?

Posted Nov 11, 2014 02:19 PM
    I have a problem exporting TC with steps using query. I have noticed that only TC and first step & expected result is imported. Next steps are ommited. I'm using excel add-on. Can someone help?

• 4.  Re: How do I export test steps for a group of test cases?

Posted Nov 11, 2014 03:56 PM
    I have problem exporting Test steps and expected results from Rally using Addin for Excel.  Above comments suggest to add TestCase.FormattedID,TestCase.Type,TestCase.WorkProduct, but these fields are not visible.
    0EM140000004g0n

This is very important for our company, please suggest way to export test case with test steps and expected output.
    Thanks.

• 5.  Re: How do I export test steps for a group of test cases?

Posted Nov 11, 2014 04:01 PM
    I am having the similar problem wiuth exporting TC with Steps.
    When I use Type = Test case step, do not see above suggested fields.
    When I run the query, I see steps, but not TestCase id is missing.
    0EM140000004g0s

• 6.  Re: How do I export test steps for a group of test cases?

Posted Jan 13, 2015 07:22 PM
    I am facing the same problem.
    CreationDate,ExpectedResult,Input,StepIndex are exported to Excel.
    But following fields show up all blank - TestCase,TestCase.FormattedID,TestCase.Type,TestCase.WorkProduct.
    Appreciate any solution to fix this and be able to export the values for above columns as well.

• 7.  Re: How do I export test steps for a group of test cases?

Posted Jan 14, 2015 09:47 AM
    Hi there, to correct my above post:

Though the fields you noted do not appear in the selection option for columns, you can type these into the Columns field to return the data you are looking for.  

I have included a screenshot to illustrate how this is done.
    0EM140000004hsl 
    Unfortunately, this is the only way to get the test steps and be able to see the Test case they are associated to.  When exporting test cases, the test steps are not part of the export.  

• 8.  Re: How do I export test steps for a group of test cases?

Posted Jan 14, 2015 05:15 PM
    Thanks John. I tried exactly what you suggested, but it still did not help. When I run the export query for Test Case Step type, it still cannot impact any data for these columns -- TestCase.FormattedID,TestCase.Type,TestCase.WorkProduct.
    Are you actually able to fetch the data in these columns? If so, is any specific step/setting missing here?

• 9.  Re: How do I export test steps for a group of test cases?

Posted Jan 15, 2015 10:17 AM
    You know what, you are exactly right.  Thank you for your persistence here!  This was something that worked for us, but now doesn't seem to be working at all.  

I'm going to try to create a case for each person who's posted to this thread, and add them to a defect on this issue!  Since the case is created and associated to the defect, you will be notified once it's fixed. 

• 10.  Re: How do I export test steps for a group of test cases?
    Best Answer

Posted Jan 19, 2015 03:53 PM
    All -- an update.  It appears that the Test Step export using the Excel Add-In does in fact work.  What may be the problem here is just (warranted) confusion as to what exactly is a Test Step in Rally. 

Please take a look at this section of the Rally Help article: 
    https://help.rallydev.com/manage-test-cases#add steps to test cases

There is an icon that must be clicked to add Test Steps, and the fields are "Input" and "Expected Result" for each step, which is numbered.  These steps do export via the Excel Add-in using the Test Steps type without a problem. 

And then, in your Test Cases, ensure that you don't have your steps just typed out in the "Validation Input" and "Validation Expected Results" fields.  These field export via the Excel Add-in using the Test Cases type. 

• 11.  Re: How do I export test steps for a group of test cases?

Posted Jan 20, 2015 12:12 AM
    Thanks for your response. This week I am not available to test this steps, but will try it out next week and will let you know the status. Thanks and regards, -Malini

• 12.  Re: How do I export test steps for a group of test cases?

Posted Feb 19, 2015 03:02 PM
    Hey Malini, just checking in -- did that work for you?

• 13.  Re: How do I export test steps for a group of test cases?

Posted Mar 19, 2015 02:40 PM
    Hi John,
    I followed the steps mentioned above and i am still not able to export the steps on a test case to excel. 
    Appreciate your response.
    Thanks and Regards, Monica

• 14.  Re: How do I export test steps for a group of test cases?

Posted Mar 19, 2015 03:31 PM
    Hey Monica, sorry to hear that!  Every time we've encountered this in recent months it was because users weren't actually inputting steps.  So then when attempting to export, there were not actually steps on the Test Case. 

Did you happen to take a look at that Rally Help article Add Steps to Test Cases?

• 15.  Re: How do I export test steps for a group of test cases?

Posted Apr 10, 2015 12:54 PM
    Hi John,
    I was able to get that working by inputting steps. But when i try to export few test cases, i am actually getting the error.
    Cannot parse object reference from "TC618"

Thanks,
    Monica

• 16.  Re: How do I export test steps for a group of test cases?

Posted Apr 10, 2015 01:15 PM
    Monica, are you using the Rally Add-in for Excel?  If so, what query are you using to filter the test cases?  Usually that's an error based on an invalid query.

• 17.  Re: How do I export test steps for a group of test cases?

Posted Apr 10, 2015 02:02 PM
    I am using the Rally add-in for excel.

I selected a workspace and a project and trying to export all test cases in that project. But i dont see all the test cases  being exported. Some of them are missing from the list exported even when the test case is tied to the project i selected.
    So, i tried to filter on that specific test case thats missing and get the error.
    0EM140000004lgy

• 18.  Re: How do I export test steps for a group of test cases?

Posted Apr 10, 2015 03:20 PM
    Monica, it looks like the problem is that your query syntax is incorrect.  If you're trying to reference the Formatted ID of the Test Case, try this instead: 
    (TestCase.FormattedID = "TC618")

• 19.  Re: How do I export test steps for a group of test cases?

Posted Aug 31, 2015 10:45 PM
    Hi John,
    Is there a way to use the query syntax on the filter you mentioned for exporting multiple test cases? Tried using the filter: 
    (TestCase.FormattedID = "TC123","TC124") -but upon running this yielded to no result.
    Appreciate the assistance on this.
    -Carlo.

• 20.  Re: How do I export test steps for a group of test cases?

Posted Sep 01, 2015 09:22 AM
    Hey Carlo, try something more like this: 

((TestCase.FormattedID = "TC123") OR (TestCase.FormattedID = "TC124"))

See more query examples here: https://help.rallydev.com/grid-queries#problems

• 21.  Re: How do I export test steps for a group of test cases?

Posted Sep 02, 2015 03:09 AM
    Hi John, thanks for the help! was able to export 2 test cases. Tried it for more than 3 however it doesnt work and I get an error message. The query I used goes like:

((TestCase.FormattedID = "TC9469") OR (TestCase.FormattedID = "TC9471") OR (TestCase.FormattedID = "TC9473") OR (TestCase.FormattedID = "TC9474") OR (TestCase.FormattedID = "TC9481"))

This is the error message:
    0EM14000000MT0V

Thanks,
    Carlo.

• 22.  Re: How do I export test steps for a group of test cases?

Posted Sep 02, 2015 10:28 AM
    You know, that should be right.  Maybe it doesn't like the formatting though.  I laid it out like this and it didn't give me any errors (just said nothing found): 

(
         (TestCase.FormattedID = "TC9469") OR 
         (TestCase.FormattedID = "TC9471") OR 
         (TestCase.FormattedID = "TC9473") OR 
         (TestCase.FormattedID = "TC9474") OR 
         (TestCase.FormattedID = "TC9481")
         )

• 23.  Re: How do I export test steps for a group of test cases?

Posted Mar 15, 2016 10:29 PM
    I am having same issue. Everything works but only first step is exported. Do we have any solution to this? 

• 24.  Re: How do I export test steps for a group of test cases?

Posted Mar 22, 2016 06:17 PM
    Here's a great video that one of our Solutions Architects built.  It's a great walkthrough of how to import test case steps for test cases in a folder. It's a little complicated, but it does the trick.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L8N76DDQSKc

• 25.  Re: How do I export test steps for a group of test cases?

Posted Apr 27, 2016 02:11 PM
    For compound statements like above you need to treat each set of two criteria separately such that it would look like this 
    (
       (
          (
             (
                (
                   (FormattedID = "I4391") OR (FormattedID = "I4310")
                )
                OR (FormattedID = "I4913")
             )
             OR (FormattedID = "I5068")
          )
          OR (FormattedID = "I5069")
       )
       OR (FormattedID = "I4608")
    )

• 26.  Re: How do I export test steps for a group of test cases?

Posted May 04, 2016 11:15 AM
    How can we migrate test cases from Rally to a new Test Management tool. I tried exporting the test cases information using the excel export plug In, challenge I am facing is that the export is not giving the test cases and the steps together. When I tried to merge these two sheet together using Power Wuery Addin the data is not getting merger properly as there are mutiple test cases with the same name.

Is there a way where we can export the entire test case information (Test case, Type and Steps) together so that we dont have to worry about merging them to gether later on which is very complicated when we are looking at 4000 test cases.

Vikas

• 27.  RE: Re: How do I export test steps for a group of test cases?

Posted May 02, 2022 01:30 PM
    Hi Vikas: Are you able to successfully migrate all test cases from Rally to the new tool? Any suggestion?​