Rally Software

View Only
  • 1.  Reports using Excel plugin

Posted Nov 02, 2016 07:24 AM

Team,

I have been using Rally Excel plugin to create some custom metrics. I also have a requirement to publish existing reports from Rally(for eg: Say Do Ratio/ burndown chart, etc). Can this be done using excel plugin so we dont have to logon to Rally everytime we want reports?

Regards,

Manisha.

• 2.  Re: Reports using Excel plugin

Posted Nov 02, 2016 09:12 AM

Hi Manisha, 

I currently use the Excel plugin tool for several reports. I think it is great for leadership roles that do not use CA Agile, and also easily published.

I connect User stories to Initiatives by using a power query, the only thing i have found a problem with is that i have not found a way to automate and have it refreshed at a specific time. I have to manually refresh the data (which only takes a few clicks).

• 3.  Re: Reports using Excel plugin

Posted Nov 02, 2016 09:17 AM

Hi Andrew,

Thanks for the response.

Can you please give me an example of how you do it. Also, I am specifically looking out for a way to publish these reports without logging into Rally every time its needed. 

To explain more on this, we have a custom shared app for say do ratio, how can I use excel plugin to get that in an excel based report instead of logging to Rally every time. I am fine to refresh it in Excel.

Regards,

Manisha.

• 4.  Re: Reports using Excel plugin

Posted Nov 02, 2016 09:38 AM

Sure.... I found this video from someone at CA which gives a quick tutorial.
    CA Agile Central - Exporting Initiative to Task Hierarchy with Excel - YouTube 

But basically here are the steps that i take.

Initial set up:

Set up the queries in excel through the addin
    Set up connecting the queries in Power Query
    Used the information in power query to feed a pivot table (or whatever i am using)

Refreshing:

Open excel report, Select refresh queries, and then refresh the pivot table

• 5.  Re: Reports using Excel plugin

Posted Nov 02, 2016 09:44 AM

Andrew,

I have been using addin and have created many queries using it.

All I want to confirm is if there is a way to publish existing reports without writing any Queries or use any existing query type  as this plugin anyway connects to Rally?

Also, I am not sure what power query is, I will go through the video you have shared.

Thanks again.

Regards,

Manisha.

• 6.  Re: Reports using Excel plugin

Posted Nov 02, 2016 09:58 AM

Andrew,

One more thing, I dont see any type as "Initiative" in plugin I am using, is it in a newer version?

Regards,

Manisha.