Symantec Access Management

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

CA SSO : Authentication failed (Error : Unicode converter truncated character)

• 1.  CA SSO : Authentication failed (Error : Unicode converter truncated character)

Posted Sep 07, 2018 11:50 AM

Hi,

I have setup a new Oracle user store where the password are stored in a plain text format. I am getting the following error during the authentication.

SQS (With Bind Query):
    <<
    SELECT Name FROM SmUser WHERE Name = ?
    SQL_SUCCESS
    SELECT Name FROM SmUser WHERE Name = ? AND Password = ?/bind:<<USER_NAME>>/bind:****
    SQL_NO_DATA
    >>

SQS (With Literal Query):

<<

SELECT Name FROM SmUser WHERE Name = '<<USER_NAME>>' AND Password = '****'

[SQL Error.][][][-1][CSmDbConnectionODBC::CheckForError][CSmDbODBC.cpp:1436][[DataDirect][ODBC lib]Unicode converter truncated character][HY000][][][][][]
    [ODBC Error: State = HY000 Internal Code = 0 - [DataDirect][ODBC lib] Unicode converter truncated character - MappedResult:-4007][][][][CSmDbConnectionODBC::MapResult][CSmDbODBC.cpp:351][[DataDirect][ODBC lib] Unicode converter truncated character][-1][][][][][]
    [Finish processing SQL statement.][][][Exception][CSmRecordset::DoSelect][CDb.cpp:282][Internal Error: Database error. Code is -4007 (DBMSG: <<<State = HY000 Internal Code = 0 - [DataDirect][ODBC lib] Unicode converter truncated character>>>)][][][][][][]

>>

If I try to execute the same query in SQL developer, I am getting the expected result.

Username : 25 characters (has LC, Number, _ , @ and .)
    Password : 20 characters (has LC, UC and Number)

Thanks.

Regards,

Dhilip

• 2.  Re: CA SSO : Authentication failed (Error : Unicode converter truncated character)
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Sep 07, 2018 03:43 PM

Hi Dhilip,

The error is coming from DataDirect driver layer, if you google this error, there are several hits from web.

Progress KB - Unicode converter truncated character" when connecting to 3.51.12 version of MySQL 

Progress KB - "Unicode converter truncated character error' with ODBC driver manager 

IBM DataStage ODBC error: [DataStage][SQL Client][ODBC][DataDirect][ODBC lib]Unicode converter buffer overflow - United… 

I wonder if you are using older policy server release with defective driver.

Also you should try to authenticate a user name that does not have _ , @ and . as sanity check.

Consult your DBA if selected the proper collation during table creation when installing the database.

Configure ODBC Databases as Policy, Session, Key and Audit Stores - CA Single Sign-On - 12.52 SP2 - CA Technologies Documentation

Important! Consider the following issues before configuring a policy store:

• Avoid possible policy store corruption. Be sure that the database server that is to host the policy store is configured to store objects in UTF-8 form:
      • (Oracle) Be sure that the database is configured to store objects in UTF-8 form. Oracle supports unicode within many of their character sets.
      • (SQL Server) Be sure that the database is configured using the default collation (SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS). Using a collation that is case-sensitive can result in unexpected behaviors.
    • Do not use brackets around the IP address when using IPv6 ODBC data sources or the connection fails. For example, use fec0::9255:20c:29ff:fe47:8089 not [fec0::9255:20c:29ff:fe47:8089].

Thanks,

Hongxu

• 3.  Re: CA SSO : Authentication failed (Error : Unicode converter truncated character)

Posted Sep 24, 2018 01:20 AM

Hi Hongxu,

Thanks for your response.

Regards,

Dhilip