Symantec Access Management

View Only
  • 1.  FWS trace logs not populating after SiteMinder upgrade

Posted Mar 09, 2016 01:49 AM

Team,

We recently upgraded SiteMinder environment from R12.5 to R12.52, upgrade was successful and all the applications and sites are working perfectly fine. However, FWStrace is not populating after upgrade, i have tried to check the following.

1.FWSTrace file is configured from the old setup.

2.FWSTrace logs are configured from the old setup.

3.FWS logs were populating before upgrade and after upgrade logs are not populating.

4.I didn't run the configuration wizard for webagent or WAOP, just upgraded\installed and preserved the existing setup in IIS.

5.JAVA is what i suspect, but i checked that too, the server runs on recent Java and Java_Home for WAOP is also set, however, i am not sure, i guess this what causing the issue. because, it looks like the though the java is taken from the original source, it runs from a temp folder from local data, since i upgraded using my credentials as admintrator.

Could someone help me to figure out why i am not able to get the FWSTrace logs?

What is that i would be missing here?

• 2.  Re: FWS trace logs not populating after SiteMinder upgrade

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Mar 09, 2016 02:06 AM

One thought based on some previous experience: When you say "FWSTrace logs are configured from the old setup." does that mean you checked LoggerConfig.properties was not changed by the upgrade and was still specifying the correct FWSTrace log and  config files.?   Was affwebserv.log enabled and is still being logged?

• 3.  Re: FWS trace logs not populating after SiteMinder upgrade

Posted Mar 09, 2016 11:28 AM

Yes, exactly, and yes affwebserv.log is still logged, only FWSTrace.log is not logged.

Any idea why this issue happens?

• 4.  Re: FWS trace logs not populating after SiteMinder upgrade

Posted Mar 10, 2016 02:42 AM

Hi Christie,

Enable FWSTrace.log is pretty straight forward:

###

Open the LoggerConfig.properties file in the directory web_agent_home/affwebservices/WEB-INF/classes, and set the following parameters:

• Set TracingOn to Yes. This option instructs the trace facility to write messages to a file.
    • Set the TraceFileName parameter to the full path of the trace log file. The default location is in web_agent_home/config/FWSTrace.log.
    • Set the TraceConfigFile parameter to the full
      path of the trace configuration file, either the default template,
      FWSTrace.conf or another template. Templates can be found at web_agent_home/config.

###

Did you check if the LoggerConfig.properties file get modified after upgrade (ie: check the last modify date of the file)?

Have you try set the TraceFileName to different path?

Check if the TraceConfigFile exist in the path. Suspect the files in web_agent_home/config get overwritten during upgrade.

Regards,
    Kar Meng

• 5.  Re: FWS trace logs not populating after SiteMinder upgrade

Posted Mar 11, 2016 10:23 AM

Hi Kar Meng,

I have already did this, first i checked for the logger.properties and the parameters are set to yes and required path is also provided. In fact i have the checked for the traceconfigfile, it is present in the said path.

Any other things that i might be missing?

• 6.  Re: FWS trace logs not populating after SiteMinder upgrade
    Best Answer

Posted Mar 14, 2016 12:28 AM

Hi ChristieJS,

I presume the WAOP is on Windows since you mentioned the IIS. Correct me if that's incorrect. If affwebserv.log is generated, I doubt there is any issue on the LoggerConfig.properties.

The only thing I suspect are following configurations.

###

// TracingOn can be Y, N
    TracingOn=Y

// If TraceFileName is set Trace output will go to the file named
    TraceFileName=C:\\siteminder\\webagent\\log\\FWSTrace.log

// TraceConfigFile should be set to the full path of the desired Trace.conf configuration file
    TraceConfig=C:\\siteminder\\webagent\\config\\FWSTrace.conf

###

Did your FWSTrace.conf configure as below?

components: Fed_Client

data: Date, Time, Pid, Tid, TransactionID, SrcFile, Function, Message

If everything looks good, I suggest to open ticket with CA Support.

Thanks.

Kar Meng

• 7.  Re: FWS trace logs not populating after SiteMinder upgrade

Posted Mar 17, 2016 03:34 AM

Thank Kar Meng,

I think I have to open a ticket with Support, everything under LoggerConfig.properties looks exactly as you have mentioned, because that's the first thing i checked when the logs were not populating.

Thank you Again.