Symantec Access Management

View Only
  • 1.  AWS and SiteMinder

Posted Apr 18, 2016 10:38 AM

Hi Guys,

I have quick question about AWS and SiteMinder, I am new to AWS, but not SiteMinder.

I have the runbook for SiteMinder and AWS. Which gives more insight and knowledge on how to integrate AWS with SiteMinder.

If there is an application, I could leverage SiteMinder to provide authentication and authorization, however, if there is a windows server hosted virtually in AWS EC2, will the user be able to login using the internal org AD, through the roles provided?

How could we make the server hosted in AWS EC2 to use the AD users accounts to login to the server, instead of using the locally created accounts?

Please let me know, as this is very urgent.

• 2.  Re: AWS and SiteMinder

Posted Apr 18, 2016 01:02 PM

this might be silly, but considering the amount fo  acronym reuse i see, what does AWS stand for?

• 3.  Re: AWS and SiteMinder

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Apr 18, 2016 01:14 PM

Amazon Web Services

• 4.  Re: AWS and SiteMinder

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Apr 18, 2016 01:17 PM

Josh

Amazon webservices - hosting site 

• 5.  Re: AWS and SiteMinder

Posted Apr 18, 2016 01:27 PM

My thought from the title was Apache Web Server.

My thought from content was Amazon Web Services.

i remember Steve Lavioe (sp on the last name?) once saying "TLAs always require context"

i remember replying "and the context  for TLA there is?"

remember, the problem with [Three Letter] Acronyms is that overuse of acronyms means that until it's been expanded once, you cannot be positive. i wanted to be sure that i knew which one  was right or if it might mean something else, that we know what it means.

• 6.  Re: AWS and SiteMinder

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Apr 18, 2016 01:29 PM

I just knew cause Christie said Amazon EC2 and that is there elastic compute cloud platform, but you are right, a lot of time acronyms are hard to understand!

• 7.  Re: AWS and SiteMinder
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Apr 18, 2016 01:09 PM

Based on the thread:  The run book you are referring is a federation where the IDP would be from outside AWS.

If you are using AWS to host policy server with Active directory as a user store (hosted on a corporate network) the policy server will need to have access to the user store similar to being hosted.

Something to look into AWS Directory Service to access your active Directory

https://blogs.aws.amazon.com/security/post/Tx2PC3QQDXJKASD/How-to-Connect-Your-On-Premises-Active-Directory-to-AWS-Using-AD-Connector

• 8.  Re: AWS and SiteMinder

Posted Apr 18, 2016 02:42 PM

Steve et al,

How much of a hybrid cloud solution is possible using on-premise instances of Siteminder (PS and agents), AWS based instances of PS and WA and CA's SaaS Auth/Az solution (CloudMinder)?

-Craig C.

• 9.  RE: Re: AWS and SiteMinder

Posted Nov 09, 2020 03:46 PM
    hello experts,

need clarification on the below use-case:

1) users residing in amazon webservices Cognito
    2) my company has external partner whose applications are enabled with Siteminder and they have their own identity access management solution.

Q- users of cognito need to gain access to applications that are enabled with siteminder. 
    Which is ideal on this use-case --  SAML or OIDC

How can this federation be achieved, any inputs will be of great help !

thanks!
    sri