This article lists a high level overview of the steps an agent goes through on startup. This can be particularly helpful when troubleshooting agent startup issues to narrow down at which point the failure may be occurring.
(1) Agent opens the Agent Config File to find the location of smhost.conf file
(2) Agent opens the smhost.conf to find the IP of the Policy Server.
(3) Agent makes connections to the Policy Server(s) listed in the smhost.conf.
(4) Agent requests the HCO from the Policy Server(s).
(5) Agent cuts connections to Policy Server(s) listed in the smhost.conf file. (Also called bootstrap servers).
(6) Agent makes connections to the Policy Server(s) listed in the HCO.
(7) Agent requests the ACO from the Policy Server(s) listed in the HCO.
(8) Agent finishes configuration based on the ACO and initializes.
One suggestion on testing would be to get the environment down to basics.
Also make sure:
--the same Policy Server is listed by IP in the smhost.conf file and the HCO (only one) and
--make sure that the Agent can find the smhost.conf file that is defined in the Config file, and
--ensure it is the correct smhost.conf file.
Do you have any additional suggestions that will help others with agent startup issues? Please post into this discussion!