I am currently working with Siteminder v12.5 doing my new installations on Windows Server 2008 R2. I have 4 different servers installed and configured: Policy Server, AdminUI Server, Web Server, and a Report Server. I have also installed MS SQL Server 2008 R2 onto my Report Server to host the Audit Database. The Audit Database has been defined, and the sm_mssql_logs.sql scritp has been run to load the Audit Database Schema. The Report Server has been registered with the Policy Server and connection has been establiished. I have also registered the Report Server to the AdminUI Server with no issues and the connections work. I have also created the ODBC System DSN on the Policy Server describing the connection information for the Audit Database located on the Report Server. The Policy Server can communicate with no issues.
Here is my problem. In the Siteminder documentation it is documented that the Report Server must reside on a different host than the Policy Server. I have completed this task and the Policy Server communicates with the Report Server. In setting up the Audit Database to use MS SQL Server, the instructions state I must create an ODBC System DSN on the Report Server using the Siteminder SQL Server Wire Protocol. Unfortunately, when I open the ODBC toolbox, (odbcad32.exe) on the Report Server to create the new System DSN, the Siteminder SQL Server Wire Protocol does not show up on the list as an item to select. On the Policy Server, where I had to create the first ODBC System DSN, this protocol was available and I was able to create the new System DSN.
How can I get the Siteminder SQL Server Wire Protocol migrated, or Imported onto the Report Server so that I can complete creating the new System DSN on the Report Server? I have searched the Internet and one option was to use Regedit to export the ODBC.INI information and import into the other machine. I tried this process and the Siteminder SQL Server Wire Protocol shows up, but if I select to configure, then I get a system error saying the information for configuring is not available.
Any suggestions, ideas, recommendations would be greatly appreciated. I appreciate you taking time to read my question.
I have gone through your post and I thought you are the right person to clarify few questions.
I am in the process of installing the report server and planning to use Oracle DB to store the audit logs. Could you please clarify below questions ?
1. Is it a must to have a dedicated machine / box to install the report server ? Can't I use any machine where policy server / Admin UI server (JBOSS) running ? Getting a dedicated box is going to take lot of time hence I am checking if there is any way to use the existing boxes.
2. Can you please let me know where did you download the report server installer ? Could you please provide any URL where I can download the installer
3. Do we need to have a seperate licesing from CA ? We have license for CA SiteMinder but not sure if report server needs to have a seperate license. Please confirm
4. Oracle DB is ready and I have executed the query provided by CA to create the SMOBJLOG4 table, I have configured the database details in the policy server management console and policy server is able to connect to Oracle DB. And In WAM / SiteMinder UI, I have configured the database details as well. But I don't see any logs are being written to the table. Could you please let me know if I have missed any steps here.
Thank you very much for your help.
Hello GopiReddyIrala -
Please PM me, and I will respond to your questions.
I am sorry, I do not know what is meant by PM.
Hello Gopi -
PM means Private Message. This way you can send me a Private Message, that will include your email, and I can respond directly back to you offline. Do Not Post your email address in this reply as
it is not supported.
To send a PM ( Private Message ), look at the Top Right Hand corner, where you will see what appears to be a pencil. It has a "down arrow" next to it. Click on the "Down Arrow" and you will see the option
called "Message". This is what you will use to send me a PM (Private Message). Once I receive the private message, then I can reply back to you with the answers to all your questions from the other day.
In the CA SiteMinder 12.5 Installation course, we use the SQL Server DSN, not the SiteMinder SQL Server Wire Protocol DSN, on the Report (BOXI) server.
14.On the System DSN tab, add a data source for the audit store database.
15. For the driver name, verify that SQL Server is selected.
16. In the Create a New Data Source to SQL Server wizard....
In the Installation WIKI, I don't find a specific instruction to use the SM one. I only see:
If you use the embedded version of SQL Anywhere as a Report Server database, there are no database connectivity requirements. If you use Microsoft SQL Server or Oracle as a report server or audit database, a driver is required for connectivity.
Install the appropriate driver on the Report Server host system:
For a list of supported CA and third-party components, refer to the CA SiteMinder® Platform Support Matrix on the Technical Support site.
Can you point out the reference to the SM SQL Wire Protocol DSN on the report server so we can get it fixed?