Symantec Access Management

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

SiteMinder Logs Data Source : unexpected error in database interface. Error code - 1063

• 1.  SiteMinder Logs Data Source : unexpected error in database interface. Error code - 1063

Posted Jun 16, 2014 04:04 PM

I'm seeing this error when trying to connect to a MSSQL 2012 Data Base using Policy Server version R12.52 on RHL. My system_odbc_ini looks like this:

[SiteMinder Logs Data Source]

Driver=/opt/CA/siteminder/odbc/lib/NSsqls27.so

Description=DataDirect 7.1 SQL Server Wire Protocol

Database=SiteMinder Audit Logs

Address=IP, 1433

QuotedId=No

AnsiNPW=No

DMCleanup=2

I also have to proper user name and password, so I'm not really sure why is this error coming up. Any ideas?

• 2.  Re: SiteMinder Logs Data Source : unexpected error in database interface. Error code - 1063

Posted Jun 16, 2014 08:57 PM

Can you please clarify when do you see this error ?

• Do you see this error while performing "Test Connection" in the Data-->Audit Logs tab in the "Policy server Management Console" ? Or,
    • Do you see this during normal operation of Policy Server ?
    • Are you able to connect to the Sql Server instance using any other external SQL client from the Policy server machine ?

Please confirm,

• 3.  Re: SiteMinder Logs Data Source : unexpected error in database interface. Error code - 1063

Posted Jun 16, 2014 11:16 PM

Ujwol,

Thanks for the taking the time to answer this question. I will answer your troubleshooting questions below:

• Do you see this error while performing "Test Connection" in the Data-->Audit Logs tab in the "Policy server Management Console" ?
      • Answer: Yes This is exactly where I'm seeing this issue.
    • Do you see this during normal operation of Policy Server ?
      • Answer: No
    • Are you able to connect to the Sql Server instance using any other external SQL client from the Policy server machine ?
      • Answer: I have not tried that yet

• 4.  Re: SiteMinder Logs Data Source : unexpected error in database interface. Error code - 1063

Posted Jun 16, 2014 11:18 PM

Ujwol.

Thanks for answering this question.

Yes, I'm seeing this error when I try to use "Test Connection" from the smconsole.

• 5.  Re: SiteMinder Logs Data Source : unexpected error in database interface. Error code - 1063

Posted Jun 16, 2014 11:42 PM

Hi

Did you provide the correct ip address? The snippet of system_odbc.ini don't have the ip address so just curious.

Did you run the sm_mssql_logs.sql to SQL server database? (<Policy server install path>\db\SQL)

• 6.  Re: SiteMinder Logs Data Source : unexpected error in database interface. Error code - 1063

Posted Jul 29, 2014 02:50 PM

I've provided the right IP address and port. The issue is still not resolved.

• 7.  Re: SiteMinder Logs Data Source : unexpected error in database interface. Error code - 1063

Posted Jul 30, 2014 03:09 AM

Hello,

What is the name of the Data source that you are referencing in the Policy Server Management console ? "SiteMinder Logs Data Source" ? It should be the exact name as the one that you provided in your system_obbc.ini.

Are you able to telnet the IP, port of the SQLServer box from your Redhat policy server ?

Does the user/password used are correct ?

Are you sure of the Database name ? "SiteMinder Audit Logs" seems a bit long and strange for me as a database name for SQLServer.

Hope it helps,

Julien.

• 8.  Re: SiteMinder Logs Data Source : unexpected error in database interface. Error code - 1063

Posted Jul 30, 2014 03:30 AM

Hi,

If Test Connection at smconsole didn't work, it means something wrong on the configuration of database. Have you used any third party  tool to connect the database: SiteMinder Audit Logs?

SQL Server Performance Tuning and Database Development | Toad

Did you get to connect to the database with third party database tool?

Kar Meng

• 9.  Re: SiteMinder Logs Data Source : unexpected error in database interface. Error code - 1063

Posted Aug 26, 2014 12:31 PM

Karmeng,

Just an update. I've been able to login with MS SQL Management Studio with no issues. I'm starting to think that maybe a local account is needed to allow connectivity from the policy server to the sql database.

Currently the database is configured to allow windows authentication. Can windows authentication be used to connect to an mssql database from a linux server?

• 10.  Re: SiteMinder Logs Data Source : unexpected error in database interface. Error code - 1063

Posted Aug 27, 2014 02:43 AM

Hi,

The local account is worth to try. In policy server management console -> Data tab -> Audut logs, the user name and password used to connect to SQL need to be able to login in MS SQL Management Studio

• 11.  Re: SiteMinder Logs Data Source : unexpected error in database interface. Error code - 1063
    Best Answer

Posted Aug 28, 2014 07:41 PM

Hi,

Just to confirm, are you saying that MS Sql Server services are running under Network Service Account and if changing that to Local Service Account would help ?

=> If this is what you are asking then NO, it doesn't matter which under which account the service runs.

What matters is if you have configured "Sql Server Authentication" for your database or not.

If you have configured only "Windows Authentication" for your database and don't have any other USERS using "Sql Server Authentication" then you will NOT be able to communicate with this server from Policy Server.

If you haven't already created a Sql User please create one by logging into Sql Server Management Studio --> Security --> Logins --> New Login as below , and use this credentials to connect to the audit database form Policy Server

Sql Server.png

Hope this helps,

Ujwol

• 12.  Re: SiteMinder Logs Data Source : unexpected error in database interface. Error code - 1063

Posted Aug 29, 2014 10:10 AM

Ujwol,

Thanks for the detailed answer, your answer validates my initial thought. Basically a SQL account will be needed to connect from the Policy Server to the MSSQL database.

• 13.  Re: SiteMinder Logs Data Source : unexpected error in database interface. Error code - 1063

Posted Aug 31, 2014 06:57 PM

No worries. Let us know how it goes and don't forget to mark the thread as resolved if you are able to get past the issue using Sql authentication.

Cheers,

Ujwol

• 14.  Re: SiteMinder Logs Data Source : unexpected error in database interface. Error code - 1063

Posted Sep 09, 2014 10:34 PM

Ujwol,

Thanks for the input, I have been able to connect to the SQL audit store using a local account. 

• 15.  Re: SiteMinder Logs Data Source : unexpected error in database interface. Error code - 1063

Posted Sep 09, 2014 10:57 PM

Hi ,

That's a great news.

Thanks for taking time and updating us on the result.

May I also request you to mark this query as resolved/answered?

Cheers,

Ujwol