Service Operations Insight

View Only
  • 1.  SOI 4.2 DB migration Question

Posted Apr 17, 2020 07:10 PM

I have a requriement to migrate an existing SOI 4.2 environments DB from a Microsoft SQL 2016 named instance to another server of the same SQL and windows server version, but using the default instance instead of a named instance of the DB.

On the SOI manager, there are 8 files where the jdbc statement is defined in xml.
    hibernate.cfg, connectivityContext.xml, registry.xml, user-mgt.xml, restserver.xml, sorapp.xml, ssaserver.xml, ssaweb.xml
    After modification of last four of those the registryloader would need to executed.

With a "named" db instance, the jdbc statement has the instance=INSTANCE_NAME defined in each case.  At first I though that just deleting the instance= INSTANCE_NAME section would be what's required.  On a test server, I tried running the SOI installer for the manager with a test database, fresh install and default instance.   Then I reviewed the jdbc statements.  I found that the connectivityContext.xml, registry.xml and user-mgt.xml files had no "instance=" at all in the jdbc statement, but the other 5 files had the "instance=" text in the jdbc statement.  

I'm wondering if anyone has done this type of change.  Also, does it really matter if the jdbc statements need the "instance=" text when there's a default database?  Maybe in some cases it doesn't matter and in other cases it does?  I don't know.

For an additional bit of info, I have migrated an SOI database from one SQL server to another successfully, but in both cases there was a named instance, so it was just a matter of substituting the server and instance names.  I know based upon that experience that I should be able to do this.
    (I also know there are two files which would similarly require an update on the UI servers)

• 2.  RE: SOI 4.2 DB migration Question
    Best Answer

Broadcom Employee
    Posted Apr 20, 2020 07:46 AM
    Hello Brian, I have not heared of a similar request yet and according to our documentation for this https://techdocs.broadcom.com/content/broadcom/techdocs/us/en/ca-enterprise-software/it-operations-management/service-operations-insight/4-2/administrating/database-maintenance/move-the-sa-store-to-a-remote-database-server.html the additional information what needs to be done in case you move from a named instance to a default instance is not covered. Does it work for you when you use the exact format as from your files in the environment you have that has a default instance configured or do you have problems with that ?

Kind regards,
    Britta
    Broadcom Support