Service Operations Insight

View Only
  • 1.  Can Capman predict the required capacity?

Posted Jul 13, 2018 03:19 AM

I am looking for a tool that will let me run performance tests in a lower environment using lower volumes of data and then predict the capacity that I will need for the production volumes. It should typically use the characteristics of the CPU, memory,  resource consumption, etc to arrive at the prediction. Is Capacity Manager the right tool for this?

Thanks,

Yash

• 2.  Re: Can Capman predict the required capacity?

Posted Jul 13, 2018 11:56 AM

Hello,

Let me check with the team to see if that would be the best fit for what your wanting.

Do you currently have CAPMAN in your suite of products?

Thanks

• 3.  Re: Can Capman predict the required capacity?

Posted Jul 13, 2018 01:56 PM

I discussed with team.

CCR has Auto Modeling.  Pick a busy time and use it to project the growth.   But for one time use, it might be a big project to get it installed and collecting data.

If you do not have the product you will need to discuss with your CA Rep. 

Thanks

• 4.  Re: Can Capman predict the required capacity?

Posted Jul 13, 2018 01:49 PM

Yes. CA Capacity Manager can do this for you.   If you only want to do it once, then the time to install and configure Capacity Manager may take more effort than it is worth.  If this is something you need to do on a regular interval then it might be a good fit.

David

• 5.  Re: Can Capman predict the required capacity?

Posted Aug 01, 2018 04:05 AM

The applications in my case are on Red Hat Linux. Capacity Manager documents say that it needs Windows as the target OS. Some other tool like Command Center specifies Windows as well as Unix. CCR seems to need Windows only. I am not sure I understand the architecture in terms of what tool needs to be installed on which server.

Can someone point me to a document where the tools are explained in a nutshell?

• 6.  Re: Can Capman predict the required capacity?

Posted Aug 01, 2018 10:56 AM

Here is the doc for the Capacity Manager Suite...

CCR System Requirements - CA Capacity Management - 2.9.4 - CA Technologies Documentation 

The DM or Data Manager is just that the manager which you set up via Adapters to pull data from Vcenters etc...

CCC will show some charts and graphs of usage 

CCR is the Reporting tool for the Data Manager 

Capacity Manager is a desktop tool that does your modeling

It's a large task to install and configure if you have not already done so...

• 7.  Re: Can Capman predict the required capacity?

Posted Aug 03, 2018 08:48 AM

If I want to only do capacity modelling, can I only install Capacity Manager? Do I need Data Manager? My performance files are available with me as nmon files.

Also, I do not see any link for a trial download. Can someone help me with it?

• 8.  RE: Re: Can Capman predict the required capacity?

Posted Aug 05, 2019 12:37 PM
    Good question.

Maybe someone will reply with the steps needed to do a trial.

------------------------------
    Principal Services Consultant
    ------------------------------